Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITO View Post
"She's your Queen"
- From the movie "Coming to America"!
Got it looking Tight!!
Haha! Not quite yet, but she's completely "free from infection!" My queen would be my future C43. Thank you for the kind words.

Today, I finally got to install what the Mercedes EPC calls the "Vibration absorber", which is essentially a $600 cast-iron weight that is suspended by two rubber bushings and mounts under the passenger-side headlight. The car rides noticeably smoother now. The old one was mangled during the car's altercation with a concrete curb.

I will also attempt to tackle replacing the "blacked out" door handles on my car with those from my donor car. I will post updates ASAP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1879258  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Surely you can't be serious!"
"I am serious.....and don't call me Shirley."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 02:32 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle: 2000 CLK320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Rubber weatherstrip

Robert, does your donor car have a usable rubber weatherstrip for the vertical part of the left rear window that you are willing to part with? If so, how much do you want and can you send a photo of it to verify that it's the part I need and in good condition?
For a CLK320 MY 2000 but supposedly fits all 208's.

I'm in Irvine, CA

Mike Neben
[email protected]
(949)872-3979
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 12:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1989 300SE (Mitzi); 2003 CLK 430 cabrio (Clifford)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
@Robert144 , I'm totally loving this thread and I'm sitting here at my computer smiling as I read your progress reports. There's catharsis in this thread. And I'm impressed not only with your willingness to tear the car apart but your rather articulate way with which you describe the goings-on. That you're kind of OCD about your car is even more delicious, and that someone gifted you a complete replacement parts car is just over-the-top good.

I like my cars to run exactly as they're designed, and I'm very attuned to what the car is supposed to sound like vs the presence of strange noises, rattles, clunks and what-not drive me crazy. I spend more money and time than I "should" in ferreting out anomalies; it's my version of car OCD. For example, currently, there's an überannoying rattle emanating from what sounds like just the roof attachment behind the back seats—obviously only when the roof is up—and it's driving me nuts because I don't have convenient access to someone to sit in the back seat and narrow down where it's coming from while I drive. And my ventilator fan bearings are on the way out as I have a chirping bird at low-medium fan speed. Oh, and my roof won't lift on its own; it needs a little helping hand when the hydraulics are attempting to lift the front—hopefully just a cable adjustment.

Anyway, last year August I bought an '03 CLK430 with only 69K miles on it in what was rather amazing shape. I was very excited about it as I'd always wanted a convertible. I wasn't looking for a V8, but I'd heard the M113 engine/723 transmission combo is strong and long-lasting when cared for. I initially was a bit worried about gas mileage (like you, I also have a Honda, though mine's an '06 Civic si and not the S2000), but the 113 engine actually averages 20 combined city/highway—quite respectable for the early 2000s. But it had second-rate tires on it (Benzes just go gaga for Michelins and Pirellis), and, like your CLK, I knew it would need front lower ball joints as the play was noticeable on the rack. Also, one of the motor mounts had collapsed, so I knew I'd be in it for those. The ventilation fan didn't know whether to scratch its watch or wind its butt, so I suspected the motor regulator was shot. And the ride was a bit floaty/sloppy—so i suspected shocks. I was surprised that I'd need them at 69K miles, but it's not exactly a featherweight car. But the saying goes, "There's nothing quite as expensive as a cheap Mercedes-Benz."

So after spending a few grand comprised of ball joints, motor/transmission mounts, fan regulator, cabin air filter, replacement (Bilstein) OEM-spec'd shocks, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, transmission and oil service, and a stereo replacement (I took out the OE radio and CD changer in favor of Bluetooth and iPod integration—I made a choice to live with "Pioneer" on my radio instead of "Mercedes-Benz"), I'm happy as a clam at high tide. This car runs SO well. I just drove it 1,400 miles up and back from San Diego to SF and then down Highway 1, and it's just a lovely road car. Sure-footed (slight understeer but it's OK) and agile and a lot of fun to drive.

I'll from time to time check in on your progress. These cars are old enough now that while there are still a fair number on the road, but many of them have faced some neglect. So when I see one that's been cared for or has been given a lot of TLC and facelift, I get kind of excited. Good luck with your project!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2011
Vehicle: 1999 C43 AMG
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdneben View Post
Robert, does your donor car have a usable rubber weatherstrip for the vertical part of the left rear window that you are willing to part with? If so, how much do you want and can you send a photo of it to verify that it's the part I need and in good condition?
For a CLK320 MY 2000 but supposedly fits all 208's.

I'm in Irvine, CA

Mike Neben
[email protected]
(949)872-3979
Hey Mike. Sadly that weatherstrip on the donor car is torn. Those weatherstrips apparently do that. I was going to source some new ones from MB of Laguna Niguel, but at $100 a piece they'll have to wait for a later date. I am sorry to be less than helpful.
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strassenkreuzer View Post
@Robert144 , I'm totally loving this thread and I'm sitting here at my computer smiling as I read your progress reports. There's catharsis in this thread. And I'm impressed not only with your willingness to tear the car apart but your rather articulate way with which you describe the goings-on. That you're kind of OCD about your car is even more delicious, and that someone gifted you a complete replacement parts car is just over-the-top good.

I like my cars to run exactly as they're designed, and I'm very attuned to what the car is supposed to sound like vs the presence of strange noises, rattles, clunks and what-not drive me crazy. I spend more money and time than I "should" in ferreting out anomalies; it's my version of car OCD. For example, currently, there's an überannoying rattle emanating from what sounds like just the roof attachment behind the back seats—obviously only when the roof is up—and it's driving me nuts because I don't have convenient access to someone to sit in the back seat and narrow down where it's coming from while I drive. And my ventilator fan bearings are on the way out as I have a chirping bird at low-medium fan speed. Oh, and my roof won't lift on its own; it needs a little helping hand when the hydraulics are attempting to lift the front—hopefully just a cable adjustment.

Anyway, last year August I bought an '03 CLK430 with only 69K miles on it in what was rather amazing shape. I was very excited about it as I'd always wanted a convertible. I wasn't looking for a V8, but I'd heard the M113 engine/723 transmission combo is strong and long-lasting when cared for. I initially was a bit worried about gas mileage (like you, I also have a Honda, though mine's an '06 Civic si and not the S2000), but the 113 engine actually averages 20 combined city/highway—quite respectable for the early 2000s. But it had second-rate tires on it (Benzes just go gaga for Michelins and Pirellis), and, like your CLK, I knew it would need front lower ball joints as the play was noticeable on the rack. Also, one of the motor mounts had collapsed, so I knew I'd be in it for those. The ventilation fan didn't know whether to scratch its watch or wind its butt, so I suspected the motor regulator was shot. And the ride was a bit floaty/sloppy—so i suspected shocks. I was surprised that I'd need them at 69K miles, but it's not exactly a featherweight car. But the saying goes, "There's nothing quite as expensive as a cheap Mercedes-Benz."

So after spending a few grand comprised of ball joints, motor/transmission mounts, fan regulator, cabin air filter, replacement (Bilstein) OEM-spec'd shocks, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, transmission and oil service, and a stereo replacement (I took out the OE radio and CD changer in favor of Bluetooth and iPod integration—I made a choice to live with "Pioneer" on my radio instead of "Mercedes-Benz"), I'm happy as a clam at high tide. This car runs SO well. I just drove it 1,400 miles up and back from San Diego to SF and then down Highway 1, and it's just a lovely road car. Sure-footed (slight understeer but it's OK) and agile and a lot of fun to drive.

I'll from time to time check in on your progress. These cars are old enough now that while there are still a fair number on the road, but many of them have faced some neglect. So when I see one that's been cared for or has been given a lot of TLC and facelift, I get kind of excited. Good luck with your project!
Thank you, Straussenkreuzer, for your kind words. That looks to be a beautiful example of a W126 you have. My CLK, "Helmut", as my best friend calls it (in reference to messy hair from the convertible looking as though "helmet-hair") is giving me a couple of knocks but only under body flex. I am pretty certain I know where they are coming from, the trouble is getting it to go away permanently.

Today's mini update:

It has been all de-trimmed in the appropriate areas, and now it has been delivered to the body shop to remedy the botched re-paint on the front passenger side fender, fix the nicks and cracks in the front fender, and a complete respray and blend-in for both panels plus the passenger door.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	26.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1882122   Click image for larger version

Name:	25.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1882130  
Strassenkreuzer likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Yesterday's goings on...

This is my pictorial about the joys of door latch doings...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	27.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1882266   Click image for larger version

Name:	28.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1882274   Click image for larger version

Name:	29.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1882282   Click image for larger version

Name:	30.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1882290   Click image for larger version

Name:	31.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1882298  

Name:	32.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1882306   Click image for larger version

Name:	33.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1882314   Click image for larger version

Name:	34.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1882322   Click image for larger version

Name:	35.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1882330   Click image for larger version

Name:	36.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1882338  

post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
the continuation...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	37 A.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1882346   Click image for larger version

Name:	37 B.jpg
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1882354   Click image for larger version

Name:	38.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1882362   Click image for larger version

Name:	39.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1882370   Click image for larger version

Name:	40.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1882378  

Name:	41 A.jpg
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1882386   Click image for larger version

Name:	41 B.jpg
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1882394   Click image for larger version

Name:	42.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1882402   Click image for larger version

Name:	43.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1882410   Click image for larger version

Name:	44.jpg
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1882418  

post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 10:04 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: Daily: 2000 Kleemann Supercharged CLK 430. Seductress: 1988 Jap AMG SEC Widebody
Location: Northern Virginia @ Mount Vernon, the original Ground Zero
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
AWESOME THREAD

Hey man - props on what is a truly awesome thread you've got going. Your Pictorial DIY Instructionals are really, really great and so useful to have as a reference for anyone doing the repair and maintenance work you've done! Thanks for a great contribution to this forum!
Robert144 and Strassenkreuzer like this.

Enjoy yourself, Marco.

post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Good news!

The donor car is to be parted out. This car is a '99 C208 with 114k on it. Even though the car has had a minor front-end collision, there was no airbag deployment, there was no coolant or fluid loss of any kind. The power train is still fully intact. This car does now have a salvage title on it due to the accident.

When I get home, I will post some pictures up in this thread. Please PM me with any parts request and I will reply ASAP. I only have one day off from work per week and I am a college student. As such my time is very limited, so my apologies in advance if my reply is somewhat untimely.

I am open to shipping parts as well as in-person pick-ups. I am willing to accept a check, however no parts will be released until the check clears. And of course, cash is always welcome.

I will not sell crappy parts, and I will do my utmost to describe parts in their exact condition. Additionally, upon request, I will clean the parts to the best of my ability, so that you receive the part in the best condition possible.

The parts that are UNAVAILABLE as of is moment are as follows:
-soft top assembly (going on my car)
-rear quarter window seals (ripped)
-front bumper (on my car)
-hood (destroyed)
-front grille (destroyed)
-driver's side headlight (housing damaged)
-coin tray underneath the radio head unit (on my car)
-rear trunk lid (cut up and probably substandard for resale. If you still want it, PM me)
-chassis vibration dampener (on my car)
-seat fwd/aft adjustment motors (one is on my car, the other is kaput)
-engine cover/trim (installed on previous owner's new car)
-both front fender liners (both on my car)
-A/C compressor (installed on previous owner's new car)

Apart from the aforementioned, the rest of the car is available for parts. I have just about taken all I need from it. The soft top that is cut will be available for sale as well, but not before I have it properly repaired (stitched, and sealed and made to be water-tight).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SCRAP.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1884882   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCRAP 2.jpg
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1884890   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCRAP 3.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1884898   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCRAP 4.jpg
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1884906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Example.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1884914  

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1889257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1889265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1889273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1889281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1889289  

Strassenkreuzer likes this.

Last edited by Robert144; 05-23-2016 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Adding pictures
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowphat View Post
Hey man - props on what is a truly awesome thread you've got going. Your Pictorial DIY Instructionals are really, really great and so useful to have as a reference for anyone doing the repair and maintenance work you've done! Thanks for a great contribution to this forum!
Thank you kind sir! I do my best.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C208/A208 CLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in