Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   C208/A208 CLK-Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/c208-a208-clk-class/)
-   -   propshaft centre bushing (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/c208-a208-clk-class/2219649-propshaft-centre-bushing.html)

motorsiklemad 12-07-2014 11:59 AM

propshaft centre bushing

Hi
I changed my propshaft flexi joints a couple of months ago. Last week I discovered that the rear Flexi had gone again. when I removed the busted Flexi I noticed that the bushing in the centre rear of the propshaft is damaged. I have bought the bushing, does anyone on here know how to change it?
I have searched and double searched for information on this subject and found nothing :confused:

I am now starting to think that this might be a Mercedes Dealer job, can anyone give any advise on this.

I would be greatful for any information given on this.

Cheers, Kenny

brucesclk 12-07-2014 11:05 PM

Are you talking about the U-Joint or the driveline carrier bearing?

brucesclk 12-07-2014 11:12 PM

I've heard changing out a U-Joint isn't that difficult but I've never done one myself. The only advice I can give is don't pull the drive line apart until you make very clear permanent marks for the positioning of the two shafts. As in the alignment of the splines. I messed up one time and didn't pay attention or mark the shafts.....It was a pain to get them properly aligned again. You'll know because there'll be a lot of vibration! LOL

motorsiklemad 12-08-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucesclk (Post 10789793)
Are you talking about the U-Joint or the driveline carrier bearing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucesclk (Post 10789833)
I've heard changing out a U-Joint isn't that difficult but I've never done one myself. The only advice I can give is don't pull the drive line apart until you make very clear permanent marks for the positioning of the two shafts. As in the alignment of the splines. I messed up one time and didn't pay attention or mark the shafts.....It was a pain to get them properly aligned again. You'll know because there'll be a lot of vibration! LOL

I will remember to mark the Propshaft before splitting, lol.
I think it might be what you are calling the drive line carrier bearing, not sure though. Mercedes part no is - A1244100732, Bushing, Propeller Shaft.
Just looking for any info before removing the propshaft to do the job. would be good to hear from somebody that has done the job before I try doing it :eek lol

motorsiklemad 12-12-2014 02:25 PM

Has no one ever had this problem?
cant believe how many people have viewed this and no one seams to have had this problem.
When i finally get round to removing my propshaft to repair this issue i will try and remember to post some pictures and information.

motorsiklemad 12-20-2014 11:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well I finally bit the bullet today and removed the propshaft and replaced the centre bushing at the differential end. This was a relatively easy job heated the propshaft with a small plumbers butane torch and put the bush in the vice and with a bit of twisting and pulling it just pulled straight out. fitting the new one was simple, heat the propshaft end and tap it in with a hammer using a piece of hard wood as a drift to save damaging the new bush. job done now.