BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Smile 1999 CLK-320 Convertible Top Pull-up cable repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne92034 View Post
Hi,

Did you have success in repairing your cables? You mentioned you would post procedure/pictures. Especially interested in how to get at the end of the cable in the cross bar in the plastic sleeve near the rear window. Any help would be appreciated.

Stan
It's a little late to reply but I post it anyway may help someone still have this problem and save (bunch) money too.
The purpose of 2 steel cables (one on each side) is to hold the first section of the top up when you first unlatched & pushed (it needs little help here) it up & it stay up; if they are bad (broken) the first section of the top will not stay up without you hold it up, the top cannot be rosed, it stops there & the switch red light keep blinking if the first section is not up. If you don't mind give it little help at beginning: unlatch, push up & hold it up (at open, top down to the trunk), and when closing (top up) catch the first section, or it will slam hard to the windshield frame at the end of closing, then you are doing the job of those 2 cables, that what I'd been doing, and bordering me a lot.
Actually the cables themselves do not brake, they are good size heavy duty steel cable for their job, but the (aluminum like molded to the end) end-stops are slipped off (poor quality/design?).
OK, what I did was I put the cable-stops (bought from auto part store $3.46+tax for 2 pack) at the end of the cables (you may spend little time modified the cable-stops, make the hold little bigger find better screws for them ...) but first before put the cable-stop on the cable end, you need to pull the plastic sleeves out from behind of the cross bar, these sleeves used as a anchor the cable at the cross bar; there's very limited space to work on this, use your hand/finger to feel on the cross bar for the holes & sleeves (can not see them with top & liner in-tack); feed the cable through the hole on the cross bar (sleeve already out) then put the cable-stop to the cable end & tighten the screw (I use pliers to hold cable-stop block & screwdriver to tighten up) this is the hard part of the process because you don't have much room to work on and use extremely care not to rip-off the liner or top fabric... after done with this, they will last or not depend on how you put the stops and secured them on the cables, the cable will never brake but these may slip off, ... OK now you put the sleeve on the cable next to the cable-stop(2 piece-part hugging the cable, small opening, when 2 piece formed together, toward the cable stop) then put the whole assembly through the hole on the cross bar and repeat the same procedure to other side cable then you're done.
That's it, it took me 2 hours to do those 2 cables, save me a bunch & may last longer than the new cables (to the way using cable-stops, I hope!)
and my top works like new now, hope will work for you too, good luck guys ... .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:59 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: Have 2000 CLK320 soft top,W210s replaced with rare'11 Turbo 9-5NG (only 500 imported) , '07 9-7x.
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I did the same or similar fix back in Oct2010. My fix is still working and the top has been opened and closed at a min of 40 times since repaired (I live in the southern US). I agree it took about 2 hours including the trip to Lowes Hardware.

See my post below, it is pretty much the same:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208...fixed-1-a.html

How long has your fix held?

Owner of '97 C230 silver, 2000 red CLK soft top, 2013 Prius white, 2015 Prius white
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 11:29 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2011
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1999 CLK-320 Convertible Top Pull-up cable repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc-place View Post
I did the same or similar fix back in Oct2010. My fix is still working and the top has been opened and closed at a min of 40 times since repaired (I live in the southern US). I agree it took about 2 hours including the trip to Lowes Hardware.

Me too I want to see how long it will last, at least 1 down and 1 up every day for over a month now still function good I'm happy with that so far.
But now I see your idea of using the clamps to form the stops, if mine fail again soon, I will use your clamp idea but make a fish-eye loop (like the photo on) and use 1/4" x 2" Eye Rod (or the bicycle spoke) at the cross bar (see picture). What do think? I think it will last for life.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 12:24 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2009
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Convertible top fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc-place View Post

I ordered Mercedes cables online for $117 plus $12 for plastic sleeves, plus $20 shipping. I did the repair in the beginning of October, 2010. But I have not had the top cycle more than 10 times due to weather. Seems to work fine. If it breaks again I will certainly try the ferrule repair technique first.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 05:44 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2012
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great pics of tension cable repair

Heres a link to some more pics and how to for the clk 208 tension cable repair.

http://www.vette.com/clk430top/
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 05:54 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: Have 2000 CLK320 soft top,W210s replaced with rare'11 Turbo 9-5NG (only 500 imported) , '07 9-7x.
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Update- the $1 fix I performed in 2010 is still holding!! . I have opened and closed the top many times. When closing the top, I do make sure my wife or myself catch the top with our hand for a few seconds before it plops down with all its weight to it's pre latch position, then let go while it's finishing the close cycle (this takes little effort). Even if I had replaced the cable with a new, I would advise catching the top in down cycle to keep the stress off the cables when the front of the top plops down.

See my Feb 2011 post above.

Owner of '97 C230 silver, 2000 red CLK soft top, 2013 Prius white, 2015 Prius white
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C208/A208 CLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in