post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2018
Vehicle: 2007 E350 Avantgarde
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Static fm and am after new pioneer radio install w211

Hi I have a 2007 e350 w211 with fibre optic and have replaced command with pioneer z5150 by using aftermarket aerpro harness for plug and play.
Everything worked out great including steering wheel control except the reception of FM and Am , I know it has amplified antenna and have fitted an after market amplifier connected between the new pioneer and MB antenna plug and have powered up the new amplified antenna adaptor.
But Iím not getting a clear sound just a lot of static over the radio.
Iíve been searching forums and online for 3 weeks with no luck.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a fix.
Iíve also earthed the new amplified adaptor thinking it might have been the reason it wasnít working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 05:39 AM

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2013 S550
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Are you using the car's original antennas, or an add-on? If you added a 3rd party antenna amp inline with the car's built-in amp, you may be using way too much amplification.

Warren

2013 S550

Formerly:
2010 S550
2005 S500 4-Matic
2000 S500
1978 450SL
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
No Iím not using the original amp, as Iíve unplugged the antenna connection from the back of that amplifier and connected that onto my 5 metre ext from headunit to back of car, thatís where Iíve plugged in the new adaptor amp and powered it from one of the rear fuses next to original amp.
I notice if I hold onto the cable and move it around a little the reception seems a lot better , static seems to virtually disappear so I was thinking a ground problem somewhere so I earthed the new small amp but still no luck. Just as much static as without having any antenna plugged into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Itís a little confusing as the original command unit did not have an antenna plugged into the back so Iím assuming it all ran thru from the rear via the fibre optics.
So when I checked in the rear of the car where I found Amp etc Iíve found the antenna connection into that rear Amplifier, So ive unplugged from there and attached it to my new mini amplified adaptor then along my 5 metre cable to the new head unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylaw View Post
Are you using the car's original antennas, or an add-on? If you added a 3rd party antenna amp inline with the car's built-in amp, you may be using way too much amplification.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 12:18 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2018
Vehicle: 2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie37 View Post
No I’m not using the original amp, as I’ve unplugged the antenna connection from the back of that amplifier and connected that onto my 5 metre ext from headunit to back of car, that’s where I’ve plugged in the new adaptor amp and powered it from one of the rear fuses next to original amp.
I notice if I hold onto the cable and move it around a little the reception seems a lot better , static seems to virtually disappear so I was thinking a ground problem somewhere so I earthed the new small amp but still no luck. Just as much static as without having any antenna plugged into it.
Is that with car running or not.. Your new amp maybe be picking up line noise from the fused line that your using.. Also,..You very well maybe over amping the RF.. Take a piece of wire about 3ft, attach it to the center conductor on the end extension cable..or if you have an old style bare fender mount antenna laying around, use it.. No amp in the line.. See what happens..
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok thanks
I have an old antenna thatís not amplified Iíll give that a try this afternoon.
I hadnít thought of trying an unamplified antenna.

The scratchy sound came regardless if car was running or off.

Fingers crossed this standard antenna does the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby735 View Post
Is that with car running or not.. Your new amp maybe be picking up line noise from the fused line that your using.. Also,..You very well maybe over amping the RF.. Take a piece of wire about 3ft, attach it to the center conductor on the end extension cable..or if you have an old style bare fender mount antenna laying around, use it.. No amp in the line.. See what happens..
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Standard antenna is an improvement about 80% now still get static and inside garage no reception at all but itís definitely better but nowhere near as clear as command unit
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
By standard antenna I meant an old car radio antenna

Not the w211ís amplified shark fin antenna

Quote:
Standard antenna is an improvement about 80% now still get static and inside garage no reception at all but itís definitely better but nowhere near as clear as command unit
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 01:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Not being familiar with either units,.. Have you checked to see if there is a "local/ distance" mode on your new Pioneer?.. No reception at all, is a symptom of a radio being in the "local" mode..
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 04:19 PM
BenzWorld Member

Also.. that extension cable may not be the best of quality, with minimal shielding... You may be picking up the car's data streams.. Remove the head unit out the dash.. Plug in the straight antenna directly into the radio.. Dangle the antenna out your window, keeping it away from as much of the car frame as you can.. Play around with it.. does the noise come and go?.. If so, re-route extension and /or buy a better shielded cable..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Technical Forums > Audio & Telematics Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in