Intall Xtrons head unit to work with MB AMP(Audio gate way) - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Intall Xtrons head unit to work with MB AMP(Audio gate way)

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial"]Installation of Xtrons PF75M211A in MB W211 to work with MB AMP (Audio gate way) from beginner

First of all, I would like to say thank you to 2 persons from Benzworld.org-Rossafuss and Depoteet for such a very useful information about installation tips and tricks. You can read Rossafuss article from here.

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...retaining.html.

The following instruction is the rearranged version of his but with the level of DIY from beginner like me. So, hopefully, this article might help lot of distressful persons who are in the installation of the same kind of this head unit I have ( as I write this message, Xtrons releases the new versions of PF75M211A-the advanced one with new user interface and tire pressure monitor function and higher resolution display PF75M211AP and the cheaper version PF75M211GT. You can go and check out for more information from https://xtrons.com.

Actually, I’m an architect and product designer also part time Professor at a university. I’ve never done any complicated stereo job before so don’t worry, everyone can do this. This is not the promotion for money. I don’t get any fee or anything from the company since I’m in Thailand. I just hope that everyone can enjoy working with your car like I did.

This is the video from what I have once I finished the installation. I forgot to show the telephone mode but once you finished the following instruction. You will be able to use the telephone mode without any problem.

Why don’t I go hiring some local car stereo shop to do this?
My car is 2003 model, it’s old and everyone who owns the European cars must know that all the plastic pieces from them come with expired date. Even though how much you take a good care of your car, they are still break at the end. So, instead of seeing any of them broken by the installation guy, I think I try to keep it at the minimal rate by doing it myself. This might hurt me less than seeing some of them broken and still have to pay a lot of money to hire someone.

My car MB head unit

Originally, it comes with the cassette tape player. Then I replaced it with the MB command aps head unit about 10 years ago. It was so easy. Just plug and play but can do only playing the DVD. To install the navigation system will take a lots of money to buy parts and wiring and coding. So does the TV which is the analog. At the moment, the display starts to show the dead pixel and the laser head starts not reading some DVD discs. The replacement of those 2 parts not worth for the money so I decide to go for the aftermarket with more functions in one piece. The new head unit function will be

- Built in GPS
- Voice control
- Dvd player
- Radio
- Internet access
- Updateable software
- Obd reader
- Digital receiver
- Built in ipod interface
- Mp3 reader ( USB)
- Video file reader ( USB)
- Telephone via Bluetooth
- SD card reader
- Etc.

***The only thing you need to scarify is the 6 disc cd changer. It won’t work with this head unit but once you have USB reader that means you have more capacity in contain more song than 6 discs also some other format. For me, it’s worth for the change. It cost around $340 for the head unit. Not included the FOB01 and OBD reader.

What do I have for my installation?

1. Xtrons - PF75M211A for the head unit
2. Xtrons - FOB-01 for working with the existing MB Amp (Audio gateway)
3. Xtrons - HD-101 Headrest monitor x 2 for rear entertaining zone
4. Xtrons – OBD02 ELM327-OBD2 reader for reading the information from my car to HU monitor
5. Unidentified brand from China rear view camera
6. Karmaz DVB-T2 box from my local stereo shop – this will give better searching signal performance from my country TV companies.
7. Unidentified mini microphone with 3.5mm jack for cell phone

**The head unit can install the 3Gwifi dongle and DAB radio tuner receiver but I don’t have them – they are options that I don’t want at the moment.

Let’s Begin

There are 3 areas of the car that need to be worked with, the head unit area, the rear seat area and the trunk. You might feel not comfortable to remove the rear seat, the left front carpet and trunk panel but if you carefully do it with proper tools there won’t be any trouble. I’ve never done this before either.

This is the power wiring diagram.

I choose to work with the trunk first because I‘ve already know that my car need an extension antenna cable (the command aps and the cassette tape head unit will have only 1 socket connect to head unit if your car come with other type of the head unit, you need to remove the head unit to check for the existing antenna cable first).

A. The trunk
There 3 work jobs at this area
1. Extension antenna cable
2. The power cable
3. Rear view camera

1. The extension antenna cable.

In my case, my old head unit was the Command aps 5.0 which has only 1 cable socket at the back of the unit. This cable socket consist of 2 wires and 1 MOST CABLE socket (2 orange fiber optic cables with black socket). There is no existing antenna cord. I have to buy a 5 m. extension antenna cable to make it work with the new Xtrons head unit. Again!! If you have the head unit with the cassette tape player it will have the same socket but if you have different head unit such as 1 Cd player it might already have the antenna cable so you need to start removing the MB head unit to check it first by looking the uninstallation of the MB head unit from YouTube (you can simply search for how to remove command head unit).

1. Remove the trunk floor panel
]

2. Remove the inside foam support by unscrew 2 plastic holders

3. Remove the rear plastic cover by prying all the plastic pegs out (don’t lose them) be careful with the trunk lamp cords. Gently remove the sockets out

4. Remove the left trunk panel by prying the black plastic peg and unscrew 2 screws on the floor

5. Remove the black hinge cover

6. Gently pulling the trunk left panel out and you will see the aluminum hinge for Parktronics box and other option holder

7. If you have single audio gate way like my car (there are 2 types of the audio gate way-single and double) you will notice that there are 2 sockets. The top one is the Most socket (it always come with orange cables) leave it there. The lower one is antenna socket. Unplug this one and connect the extra antenna connector that come with Xtrons head unit. For the double audio gateway there will be the 3rd socket. It will be in the middle this one is the old GPS antenna, you need to pull out this one too because the new head unit comes with its own GPS antenna.

This is the single audio gate way

This is the Dual audio gateway. You will notice the yellow GPS Antenna socket in the middle.

After unplug the socket from my audio gateway.
8. Connect the 5m.extension antenna cable to this new Xtrons antenna connector, then feed the cable through the rear back panel. We will leave the cable in the trunk at the moment and do the rest of the jobs for this trunk work load part.

This how you connect those 3 parts together.

2. The power cable
Since the car (W211 of course) has the battery at the trunk, it is very easy to wire up the power cable. For the precaution, I choose to put a fuse box without a fuse to the power cable before do more harm to anything.
Use the existing 10mm. bolt to tighten the power cable, then wire it along the foam panel. I use cable tie to do the job. And leave the rest of the cable at the area I left the antenna cable. We will come back to do the work with it later

This how I put the power cable in the car.

3. Rear view camera

The camera that I have comes with power cable and signal cable so it is quite easy to do the job.

1. Remove the inner trunk lid panel start by remove all bolts at the plastic cover at lock latch area and behind the emergency sign holder.

2. Remove all the black plastic pegs, then you will be able to remove the panel. Be careful, slide the trunk lid lamp out through the panel. You don’t need to disconnect the cable. I tried but it is quite tight so slide the whole lamp out is easier.

3. Remove the license plate out
4. Remove 2 nuts around the end of trunk lid
5. Remove the license plate under panel. This is a big plastic piece. It will have the rubber joints to hold it in place.
6. Remove right license lamp

7. Try to locate the position of camera near the removed lamp. Then feed the camera cable through the license lamp hole and leave the cable then put the lamp back in place.

8. Put the license plate under panel back in place but not screw back yet. You need to adjust the length of the left over cable for fitting the position of the camera. Once it’s ok then wipe the area and camera base holder with alcohol. Use double side 3M sticky tape and put the camera base holder on it because I don’t want to drill my car with any screw.
9. Try to tuck in the camera cable along the edge. Use cable tie to hold it in place if you need. I run the cable along left trunk hinge. Leave the cable near the previous cables.

At the moment we will have 3 cables that need to run through the rear seat. We will move forward to the next removal section.

B. The rear seat area
In this area we need to remove back panel, back seat panel , rear left door sill and rubber door seal.
1. Start from remove the seat, there are 2 spring lock for holding the seat. You can use either your finger or screw driver to push them. Start from one side to the other push the spring then pull the seat up. Once you can pop the seat then put it aside the car.
2. The back seat panel is held by 3 bolts. Pull the seat away to the side. Remove the bolts, pry the seat forward a little (toward the front of the car) then push the panel up. You should be able to lift the panel out by now.You can find the removal procedure from Pelican Parts - Porsche, BMW, MINI, Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen, Saab, Volvo - Auto Parts and Accessories.
3. behind the foam cushion. You will notice couple voids from the car structure. Pick one and feed all 3 cable through it.
4. Feed all 3 cable along the door sill
5. put the back panel and the seat back it place. We are done for them. Leave the door sill and rubber door seal outside of the car. We will put them back once we finish install the DVB-T box. If you are not plan to install it then put them back too.

C. The head unit area
This area includes the front left seat too. We will start from the left seat.
1. Remove the B-Pillar AC grommet.

2. Remove the front left rubber door seal.
3. Remove the front door sill.

4. Remove the front left carpet. You will notice the seam line near the leg of the seat. Gently lift the car pet up. Be careful not breaking the plastic seat leg covers.
5. Once you remove the carpet out, you will find a long black plastic box cover. There are the cable holder. You can try to feed those 3 cable through it or just slide them under the carpet. It’s up to you. I did the first one though.

Steering wheel button working
6. Near the kick panel, you will find another square black plastic box. Once you open it, you will see lots of twisted Brown wires and Red+Brown wires. They are connected together in one bridge. This is the Can-bus Bridge. Our job for this area is add another 2 extra wire that connect to this 2 brown wire types. So, the steering buttons can work with the head unit. Since they are all bridge, pick a pair of them. Then splice them and solder them (Scotch-lock or do whatever technique you are comfortable to connect them to the extra wires). Once you’re done for it leave them on the ground there. We will come back to finish them later.

Last edited by siamese211; 08-05-2017 at 11:59 PM. Reason: missing image from photobucket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Here is the picture of the XTrons antenna adapter.

I also forgot to mention that the Audio gate way (MB Amp) is located behind the aluminum cage in the trunk. If your hands are not too big, you can reach the antenna socket and unplug it without removing the cage.

DVB-T box working

7. Remove the knee bolster on the left side. Since my car is right steering wheel, this is under the glove box. Itís held by 2 bolts. Disconnect the lamp cable first, then gently remove the knee bolster out. I tie the DVB-T box at the knee bolster plate because it is very easy to access and close to the door sill.

I forgot to take the picture so this image is from the Pelican Parts - Porsche, BMW, MINI, Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen, Saab, Volvo - Auto Parts and Accessories

There are 2 soldering jobs here.
7.1 power cable 12 V - you will see the wire with B+ label or 12 V label solder it with the power cable from the trunk
7.2 ACC wire- this will be connected to the extra wire from cigarette lighter
Connect all the cables (12 V, ACC and ground). The ACC cable can leave it unconnected at this stage. It will be connected later. Connect the antenna wires and remote control wire. Feed the antenna cable and remote control cable through the opening at the rim of the dash board panel (you need to pry the plastic cover out so you can feed the cables through). The AV out cable, USB cable run them along the edge of the knee bolster tuck and tie with cable tie. Leave end of AV out, ACC wire unconnected.
My DVB-t box come with 2 antennas. I place one near the lower right corner front windshield and the other one near the upper left corner rear windshield. You need to find the right position for them by moving around. This is up to your location. For the rear windshield I just tuck the cable along the roof line rubber door seal.

Head unit working

8. Remove the cd changer, cigarette lighter box and old head unit out. Be careful, do not bend or crack the MOST cable (those orange fiber optic cables).
9. Look at the cigarette lighter cable, we need to do 2 solder jobs here.

9.1 ACC cable Ė check RED+White wire from the cigarette lighter.
Solder it with extra wire. The ACC wire will be connected to the ACC cable of the head unit ISO harness, Rear monitor ACC wire and the DVB-T box ACC cable.
9.2 Illumination cable - check Blue+White wire from the cigarette lighter.
Solder it with extra wire. Look for the ILL label cable from the head unit ISO harness and solder them together. This will give you the illumination of head unit button when you turn on/off the car head lamp switch.

10. Park ctrl wire Ė To make the DVB-T box play while the car is running, the park ctrl wire (usually pink) need to be grounded. Solder it with the head unit ground wire.

11. Can-RX and Can-TX wires- To make the steering wheel buttons work, you need to solder the extra cable from the Canbus-bridge box that I told you before with the wire that connect to the CANBUS-box from the head unit. You have to splice the 2 green wire (green and green+white) from CANBUS - box and solder them to those extra wires. I canít remember which one to which but you can try to switch to each other one other time. It wonít make any damage to your car, only the buttons wonít work. Once you pair them correctly you will have steering wheel button control.

This image was taken before I remove the MOST socket. Sorry,I can't find the image of the soldering but these wire are what I'm talking to.

12. Connect all optional wires

12.1 ISO harness (there are 3 set. Choose one that fit with your car existing cable. For me I Choose the longest one since my car comes with the audio gate way. What you have to do is take the existing socket, pry the MOST socket up and pull it out. There is a power cable female socket in the ISO harness Plug the male from existing cable into it and leave the MOST away. We will deal with it later.

From left to right are 3 ISO harnesses and FOB01 connected to AV out.

My car use this one.

The existing socket from old head unit. I remove MOST socket out.

Connect the old existing socket to the female socket from ISO-harness.

12.2 FOB01 (the MOST DECODER) this one is the option for the car that comes with audio gate way (MB amp). It doesnít come with the head unit wiring. You need to buy it separately. Put the MOST socket from existing cable into the female socket at FOB01. There are 2 wires with this unit that need solder jobs. And 2 connection for the RCA cables.

a) B+ wire- needed to be soldered to 12+ power from the trunk-it needs constant power
b) Ground wire Ė you can solder it to the head unit ground wire.
c) For the RCA cables- connect the audio front out from the AV out harness to audio in of the FOB01. Someone might use rear out. I think it might be the factory faulty but try the front out first, If it works then youĎve got it.

12.3 AV video out 1 and 2 to rear monitors ( 2 yellow RCA jacks)

12.4 IPod connector- I donít have it.
12.5 GPS antenna- just screw the connector to the head unit and place the receiver near the left A-Pillar.
12.6 AV in connector to connect with DVB-T box
12.7 Mic-to use the hand free phone connection. I put it near the rear view mirror and feed the cable along right A-pillar to under the right knee bolster.
12.8 DAB receiver antenna- I donít have it. But from the information. You have to connect it thru the USB connector. It will come with an antenna that look like GPS antenna (XTrons brand).
12.9 Rear camera AV in - connect the yellow RCA to CD AVin label RCA (yellow RCA from the ISO harness).

- Solder the Orange+black wire (with back car label) with the power cable from the rear camera. This will give you the automatic power up the rear camera when you put the shifter in reverse position.
12.10 DVR camera- IF you want to, it will use memory space in the head unit to store the video file. I donít know this will work with other brand DVR or not but it should because I need only AV in signal. I didnít connect my DVR with it.
12.11 3Gwifi dongle-optional
12.12 USB in- Just plug the connector to the head unit. I run the cable to the glove box.

After all the connections and soldering jobs are made then put the head unit back in place. You might have to tuck in the FOB01 and CANBUS box in the nooks here and there before trying to slide the head unit back because there will be lots of wiring harness at the back. Donít worry they will fit in with little push and pull.

Try it on your way but be careful with the MOST cable (Orange fiber optic cables). Donít bend or crack them. You should get the sound right away once the power is on. Donít forget to put the fuse in the fuse box before start turn the system on. In my case, there was a clip at the 6 disc cd changer that hold the other MOST socket there. It loosened so the signal was not looped (the circuit is broken). It made me so panic since there was no sound. I put a computer speaker to the AV out for checking. There was a faint noise so light came out. I thought it wasnít going work until I found out the loosen clip. So, if you connect everything and no sound you could try to check at the AV out. If there is a faint sound, then try to check at both MOST connector. You might bend it or loosen it accidentally. Relocate it then you should good to go.
*** You should check the sound and all connections before you put the head unit back in the position. All the connection should be taped to prevent loosen connectors***
Once everything is working perfectly put all the thing back in place by order then you should be able to enjoy your new head unit.
For the rear monitor installation. You need to remove the center console first the laying on the wiring to hide them inside the console. You can find the how to remove center console from the internet then check the wiring you have with you monitors to find the way to hide them.
I have tried most of the free apps for mirroring, GPS and OBD reader but they are not quite ok. The ones I have with the head unit are the purchased version or the full version. I hope that my article might give you some help for the installation. Good luck and enjoy with your new head unit.

Jirawat
Thailand
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Here is the picture of the XTrons antenna adapter.

I also forgot to mention that the Audio gate way (MB Amp) is located behind the aluminum cage in the trunk. If your hands are not too big, you can reach the antenna socket and unplug it without removing the cage.

DVB-T box working

7. Remove the knee bolster on the left side. Since my car is right steering wheel, this is under the glove box. It’s held by 2 bolts. Disconnect the lamp cable first, then gently remove the knee bolster out. I tie the DVB-T box at the knee bolster plate because it is very easy to access and close to the door sill.

I forgot to take the picture so this image is from the Pelican Parts - Porsche, BMW, MINI, Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen, Saab, Volvo - Auto Parts and Accessories

There are 2 soldering jobs here.
7.1 power cable 12 V - you will see the wire with B+ label or 12 V label solder it with the power cable from the trunk
7.2 ACC wire- this will be connected to the extra wire from cigarette lighter
Connect all the cables (12 V, ACC and ground). The ACC cable can leave it unconnected at this stage. It will be connected later. Connect the antenna wires and remote control wire. Feed the antenna cable and remote control cable through the opening at the rim of the dash board panel (you need to pry the plastic cover out so you can feed the cables through). The AV out cable, USB cable run them along the edge of the knee bolster tuck and tie with cable tie. Leave end of AV out, ACC wire unconnected.
My DVB-t box come with 2 antennas. I place one near the lower right corner front windshield and the other one near the upper left corner rear windshield. You need to find the right position for them by moving around. This is up to your location. For the rear windshield I just tuck the cable along the roof line rubber door seal.

Head unit working

8. Remove the cd changer, cigarette lighter box and old head unit out. Be careful, do not bend or crack the MOST cable (those orange fiber optic cables).
9. Look at the cigarette lighter cable, we need to do 2 solder jobs here.

9.1 ACC cable – check RED+White wire from the cigarette lighter.
Solder it with extra wire. The ACC wire will be connected to the ACC cable of the head unit ISO harness, Rear monitor ACC wire and the DVB-T box ACC cable.
9.2 Illumination cable - check Blue+White wire from the cigarette lighter.
Solder it with extra wire. Look for the ILL label cable from the head unit ISO harness and solder them together. This will give you the illumination of head unit button when you turn on/off the car head lamp switch.

10. Park ctrl wire – To make the DVB-T box play while the car is running, the park ctrl wire (usually pink) need to be grounded. Solder it with the head unit ground wire.

11. Can-RX and Can-TX wires- To make the steering wheel buttons work, you need to solder the extra cable from the Canbus-bridge box that I told you before with the wire that connect to the CANBUS-box from the head unit. You have to splice the 2 green wire (green and green+black) from CANBUS - box and solder them to those extra wires. I can’t remember which one to which but you can try to switch to each other one other time. It won’t make any damage to your car, only the buttons won’t work. Once you pair them correctly you will have steering wheel button control.

This image was taken before I remove the MOST socket. Sorry,I can't find the image of the soldering but these wire are what I'm talking to.

12. Connect all optional wires

12.1 ISO harness (there are 3 set. Choose one that fit with your car existing cable. For me I Choose the longest one since my car comes with the audio gate way. What you have to do is take the existing socket, pry the MOST socket up and pull it out. There is a power cable female socket in the ISO harness Plug the male from existing cable into it and leave the MOST away. We will deal with it later.

From left to right are 3 ISO harnesses and FOB01 connected to AV out.

My car use this one.

The existing socket from old head unit. I remove MOST socket out.

Connect the old existing socket to the female socket from ISO-harness.

12.2 FOB01 (the MOST DECODER) this one is the option for the car that comes with audio gate way (MB amp). It doesn’t come with the head unit wiring. You need to buy it separately. Put the MOST socket from existing cable into the female socket at FOB01. There are 2 wires with this unit that need solder jobs. And 2 connection for the RCA cables.

a) B+ wire- needed to be soldered to 12+ power from the trunk-it needs constant power
b) Ground wire – you can solder it to the head unit ground wire.
c) For the RCA cables- connect the audio front out from the AV out harness to audio in of the FOB01. Someone might use rear out. I think it might be the factory faulty but try the front out first, If it works then you‘ve got it.

12.3 AV video out 1 and 2 to rear monitors ( 2 yellow RCA jacks)

12.4 IPod connector- I don’t have it.
12.5 GPS antenna- just screw the connector to the head unit and place the receiver near the left A-Pillar.
12.6 AV in connector to connect with DVB-T box
12.7 Mic-to use the hand free phone connection. I put it near the rear view mirror and feed the cable along right A-pillar to under the right knee bolster.
12.8 DAB receiver antenna- I don’t have it. But from the information. You have to connect it thru the USB connector. It will come with an antenna that look like GPS antenna (XTrons brand).
12.9 Rear camera AV in - connect the yellow RCA to CD AVin label RCA (yellow RCA from the ISO harness).

- Solder the Orange+black wire (with back car label) with the power cable from the rear camera (red and black). This will give you the automatically power up the rear camera when you put the shifter in reverse position.

12.10 DVR camera- IF you want to, it will use memory space in the head unit to store the video file. I don’t know this will work with other brand DVR or not but it should because I need only AV in signal. I didn’t connect my DVR with it.

12.11 3Gwifi dongle-optional

12.12 USB in- Just plug the connector to the head unit. I run the cable to the glove box.

After all the connections and soldering jobs are made then put the head unit back in place. You might have to tuck in the FOB01 and CANBUS box in the nooks here and there before trying to slide the head unit back because there will be lots of wiring harness at the back. Don’t worry they will fit in with little push and pull.

Try it on your way but be careful with the MOST cable (Orange fiber optic cables). Don’t bend or crack them. You should get the sound right away once the power is on. Don’t forget to put the fuse in the fuse box before start turn the system on. In my case, there was a clip at the 6 disc cd changer that hold the other MOST socket there. It loosened so the signal was not looped (the circuit is broken). It made me so panic since there was no sound. I put a computer speaker to the AV out for checking. There was a faint noise so light came out. I thought it wasn’t going work until I found out the loosen clip. So, if you connect everything and no sound you could try to check at the AV out. If there is a faint sound, then try to check at both MOST connector. You might bend it or loosen it accidentally. Relocate it then you should good to go.
*** You should check the sound and all connections before you put the head unit back in the position. All the connection should be taped to prevent loosen connectors***
Once everything is working perfectly put all the thing back in place by order then you should be able to enjoy your new head unit.
For the rear monitor installation. You need to remove the center console first the laying on the wiring to hide them inside the console. You can find the how to remove center console from the internet then check the wiring you have with you monitors to find the way to hide them.
I have tried most of the free apps for mirroring, GPS and OBD reader but they are not quite ok. The ones I have with the head unit are the purchased version or the full version. I hope that my article might give you some help for the installation. Good luck and enjoy with your new head unit.

Jirawat
Thailand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Technical Forums > Audio & Telematics Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in