Aftermarket head unit install while retaining factory amplifier on MOST fiber Benz's! - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 308 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 02:04 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: E240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi RossaFuss, can you buy AVIN Avant 2 head units in Australia?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 308 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI *black on black with nearly every option*
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00N8 View Post
I just ordered the exact parts you listed for my E63, will report back how it goes, I don't quite understand the part about grounding the wires because of interference from the engine, can you explain that more, I heard you talk about it in the video but no mention in your write up or I missed it.

Anywhere special to get the antenna cable? I'm just going to have a local installer put it in, will probably print out your instructions as well. Thank you very much for providing these details, my Comand unit just crapped out the other day and this looks like an awesome upgrade.
sorry for the confusion! when i wrote that tutorial is was still messing around with wire routing and cleaning up the install a bit.

i actually removed the ground loop isolator i installed (so ignore that step) and instead installed one of these (http://www.amazon.com/BOSS-AUDIO-B15N-Automotive-Suppressor/dp/B000FKP7MG?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00) + noise filters. You use that to power Both the HU and Avin box. it filters out any noise that may exist before that point. That completely eliminated the engine noise for me. install instructions for that are on the box it comes in.
(i did away with the ground loop isolator because it actually reduced my sound quality quite a bit.)

As for if all this is available in Australia, i have no idea. you'd have to contact AVIN.
post #23 of 308 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 04:52 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2016
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is there a way to use the Avin MOST adapter to retain the fiber optic for the 4 channel full range but use a separate amp on the subwoofer output to run outside the fibre optic loop? I could live with the factory full range if I could get decent base. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 308 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 09:21 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2006 CLS500 base
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperchase View Post
Is there a way to use the Avin MOST adapter to retain the fiber optic for the 4 channel full range but use a separate amp on the subwoofer output to run outside the fibre optic loop? I could live with the factory full range if I could get decent base. .

You could just use a loc and tap into the woofer in the back but the fact that you are mentioning getting the avin most leads me to believe you are getting an after market headunit which usually comes with independent subwoofer rca outs which would be even better to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #25 of 308 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 06:32 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2016
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am considering an aftermarket headunit. I'm looking at the droid units that have an OEM look and I'm trying to decide whether to use external amps for both full range and subwoofer; or, keep the factory amps on the full range and a separate amp for the subs. I'm just not sold on the quality of the droid units although I'm hearing good things from those on the benz forums. The major issue I'm sorting through is how to get good base. I have a CL600 with the factory free air/infinite baffle sub and I'm thinking of using a new/old stock JL Audio 10IB4 which is one of the best free air subs of all time (I actually have a pair). The trunk of the W215 is small so I'm not keen on a box. Plus there's no way to get air through the back seat. I'd love to hear any positive feedback from anyone that's do free air with success in the W215.
post #26 of 308 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 12:47 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2006 CLS500 base
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Aftermarket head unit install while retaining factory amplifier on MOST fiber Benz's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperchase View Post
I am considering an aftermarket headunit. I'm looking at the droid units that have an OEM look and I'm trying to decide whether to use external amps for both full range and subwoofer; or, keep the factory amps on the full range and a separate amp for the subs. I'm just not sold on the quality of the droid units although I'm hearing good things from those on the benz forums. The major issue I'm sorting through is how to get good base. I have a CL600 with the factory free air/infinite baffle sub and I'm thinking of using a new/old stock JL Audio 10IB4 which is one of the best free air subs of all time (I actually have a pair). The trunk of the W215 is small so I'm not keen on a box. Plus there's no way to get air through the back seat. I'd love to hear any positive feedback from anyone that's do free air with success in the W215.

That's funny I'm also on the merc forum and looking to do similar upgrade to my w219 cls500 with one of these headunits but there's literally no info on the big screen ones everyone seems to get the rk3188 7 inches unit. I'm sure you're following the android headunit post on the guys eclass as well. I put two subs in the trunk of mine so the bass is a non issue but I assume your car has a much smaller trunk. If you don't want to do any major work I'd go for a low profile single sub and get the box with a port going up. I should also probably do that in my car. If you're adding a new amp in the car you might as well remove the stock sub and put a better sub there and run the sub out from the amp.

Last edited by DankNasty; 06-06-2016 at 12:50 AM.
post #27 of 308 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 09:22 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 2002 W211 E500
I'm really interested in knowing if full screen mirroring works with iphone! About to pull the trigger on this one

Is it possible to change the color of the backlight to match that of the car? This backlight is more red which doesn't look like it is matching...?
post #28 of 308 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
answering private message with a full PM box

answering a PM, hit the reply button, found out the guy had a full PM box. SOOOO im posting it here, hopefully helping anyone else needing clarification.

"I have been using your post as a guide to install an aftermarket stereo in my w211. So far, I have managed to get every thing working except for steering wheel control. After rereading your post, I realized that there are a couple things that I cannot figure out. Using your post, I have purchased the head unit, and AVIN MOST box as you have recommended. But I cannot determine which wires coming out of the CANBUS are the CAN wires that I need to connect to the brown and brown-red wires in the CAN bridge. On the head unit, two wires, white and blue, are labeled as CAN-TX and CAN-RX. These two wires come out of the head unit harness and plug into the CANBUS box. But there are no CAN wires coming out of the CANBUS box. (in a youtube video, CANBUS box is shown to have a pair of blue and white coming out).
Also, you had listed that you needed "a couple dozen feet of 16-18 gauge wire for can bus connections and splicing" . How many splices did you have to make from CANBUS to CANBridge?
I feel like I have been running a marathon with this project, and now facing a huge hurdle just before the finish line. I really hope you can get me across the finish line. Thank you for your time."

If i recall, the CAN-B wires that need to be connected to are the 2 green wires (Green, Green/White?) in the main radio wiring harness. i believe the wiring "glossary" is printed on a sticker on top of the Head unit. You just need to connect those green wires to the brown, brown/red wires. I cant remember the correct color combination for which colors connect together in what order, but if you get the CAN connections wrong its not going to hurt anything, just flip-flop them out and the CAN controls should work!

Good luck on this project! it was a fun weekend project for me getting everything working, but the end result was way worthit!
post #29 of 308 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 06:39 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2016
These are all the wires and harnesses that came with the head unit. None of the harnesses have the green green-white wires that you describe. I do see the wires that you refer to in a YouTube video. But they are not present in any of the harnesses that I received.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14700585253361960977702_1470058576293.jpg
Views:	1023
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1942737   Click image for larger version

Name:	1470058696409-360157418_1470058742605.jpg
Views:	979
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1942801  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20160801-082635_1470058160297.jpg (22.4 KB, 960 views)
post #30 of 308 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
what are those 2 green wires coming out of the white CAN BUS box connector? I see them in both the pictures. you also have green wires coming out of the black HU connector. What are those? i remember the can wires from the CAN box being green. the sticker on top of the HU, what color does it say your CAN connections are?

Remember, the incoming CAN communication from the car goes into the CAN BUS BOX input, NOT the radio input.

Last edited by Rossafuss; 08-01-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Technical Forums > Audio & Telematics Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in