Aftermarket head unit install while retaining factory amplifier on MOST fiber Benz's! - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 308 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI *black on black with nearly every option*
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubVBenz View Post
Great information! So your solution is not head-unit dependent, correct? As long as you're using the Fiber>Analog adapter, you can use any of these Android HUs?

Also, is Nav directional information also passed to the instrument cluster as it is with COMAND?

Also, as a 211 bluetec owner, congrats on 410K miles!!! holy shit!

Can you provide a list of all the parts required to complete this install?
As long as you're using that fiberoptic adapter, you could potentially install any head unit you wanted. you could install a $1000 top of the line double din touch screen head unit if you wanted, or just a simple cheap $50 one. (not sure why you would do that over staying OEM command..?)

Nav information is not displayed on the IC. i didnt even know that was a thing, my car never originally had NAVi. ive got google maps set up with my head unit now, and it verbally tells me the directions turn by turn, as well as put an overlay over whatever app you're in telling you when and where to turn. its great. (i usually just go wherever the google lady tells me)

all the parts needed for this are in the original post. but just to reiterate:
-fiber optic adapter
-head unit of your choice
-solder/shrink tubing, scotch locks, crimp connectors (whatever method you want)
-a couple dozen feet of 16-18 gauge wire for can bus connections and splicing. (i used high quality speaker wire, that way you can run +&- in the same line)
-6m antenna patch cable.

Other than the fiber optic interface, this really isn't any different of a procedure than installing an aftermarket radio in any other car.

And thanks!! i actually bought the car from the original owner at 398K!!
i got a hell of a deal on it cause it was such high mileage. The build quality of these W211's is absolutely incredible. at 410K miles, original engine, original tranny, absolutely NO rust (even on the under body, its incredible. AND its been a Michigan car its entire life.) ive owned a 83 300SD, 86 190D, 91 300D, 95&97 C280(god i hate C Class's), 99 E300D, and now this 2005 E320 CDI. after owning and doing all my own maintenance on all those cars, i can say the CDI is my all time favorite. Best Diesel sedan MB ever made in my opinion.
ezzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 308 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 08:16 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 87 M117 R107, 07 W211 OM642
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thanks for the follow-up and good work. Apologies, but a couple more questions:

1) You mentioned you're using google-maps on the HU you chose. Does it require a tethered network connection to work, or does it download and keep a local copy of google maps?

2) Any tips on the best way to route wires to the rear?
post #13 of 308 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 09:00 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2005 e320 4matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have to wonder if it's possible to get instructions to the dash with the gps. My E320 has the original navigation system. Amazing thread. I plan on installing my own system in the next few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 308 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Google maps normally does require an internet connection, but you can download offline maps for you area (i did the entire state of Michigan). Without an internet connection, you can search for address's as well as business names and such and it will give you complete turn by turn directions.
I use the mobile hot-spot app on my phone so the head unit can connect from time to time, so i can download and update apps. It does NOT need to be connected to the internet all the time for it to function properly though.

Frank, that communication is all determined by the can bus communication. The can bus box for the radio is probably not converting the GPS directions into the CAN-B network. I DO think its possible, i just don't think that's been done yet.
post #15 of 308 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubVBenz View Post
Any tips on the best way to route wires to the rear?
Read through this thread: After market Android 4.4.4 Quad Core complete install. Vids and Pics and txt - MBWorld.org Forums

i routed the antenna cable under the carpet along the rocker panel on the drivers side. same as the guy in the thread above did.
ezzo likes this.
post #16 of 308 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 02:25 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Since you connected to the front RCA outputs instead of the rears does that mean you still have control of fade from side to side and front to back? Rockin thread BTW!
post #17 of 308 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh8loop View Post
Since you connected to the front RCA outputs instead of the rears does that mean you still have control of fade from side to side and front to back?

i have fade control from side to side, but not front to rear. the f-r fader just basically just fades the output completely.
post #18 of 308 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 11:24 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2006 CLS500 base
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Does this most adapter work on the cls? I talked to avin and they say no even though I think these cars use the same audio setup. I talked to ali express who sells a most unit and they say yes and it's labeled as working for eclass cls, s class cl class etc. So I dunno.
post #19 of 308 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Hey Dnasty! just reiterating what i said on MBworld.

From my knowledge, the CLS uses the identical audio system as the E class. so if i were to take a wild guess, i would say that the Avin E-Class module WOULD work for the CLS. The MOST communication system used in these cars is not specific to just Mercedes, there's a few other car manufacturers that use it as well. so i would imagine the actual digital communication "code" is not going to differ between Benz vehicles. If you look on Avin's website, they list 2 most interfaces for Benz. One for the E class, and one for the ML/GL/R. From what i can tell, the only difference is that there is a "wake up" wire on the ML/GL version that gets 12V when the key is on. So i guess that it would work. if you're feeling adventurous, you could contact Avin to see if they offer a money back guarantee/ returns? Maybe you could try it out for the CLS and see if it works! Avin's got great customer service, so its worth a shot.
post #20 of 308 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 02:11 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2016
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2009 E63 stereo

I just ordered the exact parts you listed for my E63, will report back how it goes, I don't quite understand the part about grounding the wires because of interference from the engine, can you explain that more, I heard you talk about it in the video but no mention in your write up or I missed it.

Anywhere special to get the antenna cable? I'm just going to have a local installer put it in, will probably print out your instructions as well. Thank you very much for providing these details, my Comand unit just crapped out the other day and this looks like an awesome upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Technical Forums > Audio & Telematics Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in