Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W124 300TE 1991 4 Matic....

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  augapfel 
#1 ·
My 4 matic light on the dash remains on. Have replaced all of the shocks and filled up the hydraulic reservior. Don't know whether the 4 matic system is operative. What do I try, or have my mechanic, try next. Could my speed sensors gone out?

#2 ·
You don't fix a 4MATIC system by replacing parts one at a time. You'll be bankrupt before the system is working.

The system is very complex and is integrated with the ABS. It also has some built-in self diagnostics that store fault codes in the 4MATIC brain and displays them via the dash warning indicator.

A couple of years ago I bought a very clean 91 TE 4MATIC with serious mechanical problems and I'm working through it. I'm an ASE Master Technician and this system is challenging. Soon after buying the car I bought the MBZ 4MATIC service manual (off ebay) to learn about it. Wow.

More later, breakfast is served!

#4 · (Edited)
You might have luck with a Benz independent shop in the Northeast or other snow country areas. In FL? Good luck. Do a forum search on 4MATIC and you'll see a recent thread where someone said that their shop didn't want to touch the 4MATIC system.

Did you just buy the car? Did it have an illuminated 4MATIC warning light when you got it? How many miles? General condition? Are you mechanically inclined?

Honestly, a 124 with the 4MATIC system is a financial liability, especially if you live in an area where you don't need the traction capabilities. The 124 was the first Benz to offer the system and it did work amazingly well but the transfer case had a design flaw that caused every one to fail. At great expense. I'm sure that every one has been replaced at this point with the redesigned part.

Now the 4MATIC 124s are all at least 20 years old and most have lots and lots of miles. Maintenance tends to drop off as cars get their 3rd, 4th, 5th owners and problems get ignored and add up. They can take a lot of time and cash to sort out.

I'll post the flash code diagnosis process and see what you find. The problem could be something very simple/cheap to fix or it could be awful.

And yes, a faulty ABS wheel speed sensor can disable the 4MATIC system since they're so tightly integrated.

Some reading for you:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/1726210-its-been-4matic-couple-days.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.