Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - Gearbox and shifter bushings, cables and err stuff??
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 07:06 AM
[email protected]
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
there are a number of things that can wear....

cables stretch and are adjusted under the gear lever... the gear lever mechanism can wear.... the selector in the gearbox can wear out (the mechanism below the "cage")

BUT its normally the "reverse gear selector kit" that wears out.... you will find all sorts of fixes, especially replacing the plastic "bit"... BUT if any of it is worn or playing up, replacing the "cage" is the first step.... if ANYTHING has stretched or worn, the "cage" has most certainly worn out and replacing it often cures the problems........

I can never understand the number of people (inc garages) who "cut costs" by spending hours adjusting cables to save the cost of the "cage" replacement...... I have seen bills for a couple of hours work adjusting the shift cables (for 70 or 80) when 20minutes and a new reverse kit would total half that and do a better job.

its a job that is really easy to do yourself..... prise off the 2 cables (be careful not to lose the clip that secures the cable to its bracket)... undo 2 bolts (one can be hidden behind the cage)... lift off the cage.... put on a new cage.... replace the 2 bolts (I usually use screwlock or threadlock on them).... tighten the bolts... snap the cables back on (no tool needed)... drive off.

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome