Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - BAS ETS ESP ABS Lights...Help?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
vancevirgil
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: ML 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy BAS ETS ESP ABS Lights...Help?

I know the light problem has been dealt with on this site in different ways, but I am not sure if my problem is similar...but her goes my story.

2001 ML 320...around 4 months ago, transmission would not shift from park so I manually over rode it (pen in shifter hole) And that seemed to be fine...Took it into repair, but the problem dissapeared

Then, a short time later ( Few weeks) The far left lights started to come on intermittantly BAS/ETS ESP ABS then sometimes Check engine.stay on for a bit, then go out.Problem came to be staying on more and more. Finally was on most of time. the codes indicated, among other things, a faulty brake switch, which cleared after the switch was replaced. Lights went out. However, codes would be cleared on the diagnostic, then come back on immediately. this was performed a number of times. Different diagnostic used, from Snap on with rep there. Still can't clear.

ML sent to Mercedes dealer.on the drive, over all lights go out and everything is operating fine. Traction assist, Antilock, everything AOK. They keep it over night, tech drives it home with diagnostic tool to wait for lights to go on again so he can put the Mercedes Diag computer on it. Dosn't happen. I get it back. Is perfect, for 40 miles on highway. Slow down to stop. Lights come on again. Turn off, turn on, Turn wheel lock to lock,.still on. Drive it around for then next day...Morning low speed manouvering, lights go off. Same thing...Highway speed, slow down, Lights come on.

Make appointment. That morning. Lights out. Afternoon lights on. no rhymm or reason now.

I should also mention that on 2 occassions over the past few weeks, with the lights on, the red brake warning flashing red light has beeped and come on. i shut the ML off, restart, and both times it went out, but BAS ETS ESP ans ABS remain on.

The shop guys initially think it is 2 things. Either a bad wheel sensor in the right rear (one of the fault codes says the wheel is spinning at 33, 000 RPM)
Continutiy from sensor to ABS module has been checked there, and I am told continuity is fine.

Other is the transmission module. Don't ask for ddetails, never got an explanation nor ask at this point. Want to explore least expensive issues at this point, hopefully wiothout the 100 dollar an hour charge.

I have read of a few options to explore here, Including changing the ABS relay. I should add also that a few weeks ago i also had a tranmission leak at the connector that was replaced by the dealer, and when it was checked, there was fluid in the conector that was cleaned and greased and put back together. Could this also be the source of the problem?

I think it has to do with Antilock brakes somewhere. Either relay or wheel speed sensor. Why? Because of the red brake light flashing those 2 times.

I subscribe to alldata, and there have been a couple of bullitens from Mecedes on Traction control light issues, but not specifically describing what I have.

This forum has helped me in the past, but this time I am very confounded. PLeas help, any an all sugeestions welcome.

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome