mcbear
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
SKYLAW:

Perfect. That is what I was looking for. I have the VMI on the car, all recalls are closed. Minimal work done, everything "normal" for 77K with two window lifts being the only flag I see. The car was driven back and forth from the farm in Kentucky to the house in Boca so it was serviced at one of the to owned dealers at every event.

I have a small shop that does restoration and performance on 500Es and 126 models so I have access to a MB Master Tech when necessary. He retired in 98 which is why he is not familiar with this model.

This weekend they threw the keys to the car to me to drive and decide [since I had said I would not be moving above 1995 era cars] and I had a chance to switch between a 560SEC AMG, 90 560SEL with 125000 and new suspension and the W220 and I found the 220 to stack up VERY well with the 560SEL. They are different in many ways but you can feel the heritage. I would still be in my 126 but building it back up to where I would be happy with it is just not cost effective, even at shop cost. While the 126 is a VERY good car, they do get old and things do fail.

As for extended warranty, it looks like about $2K for 20K miles. After pricing out parts for the majors that have a likelihood of failure in 20K at wholesale costs, it seems like a likely wash IF there is a failure. I am going to look into 3rd Party tomorrow but so far have not looked at that route. It depends on the subsystems covered.

Thanks again for the excellent writeup. Gives me plenty to digest as I make a decision before tomorrow evening.

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome