BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Super Charger Clutch Bearing...How did you know?
Originally Posted by FrankW
after 5 years and 76k miles original miles all by me. Extended warranty up to 2009/100k miles.
1. intercooler pump (died once. typical problem. replaced under warranty)
2. crank position sensor (appearantly wasn't properly installed and rusted. replaced under warranty)
3. faulty heated seats (replaced under extended warranty. both side. new seat cover = WIN)
4. ESP/BAS error (wiring harness replaced under warranty. common problem for 01-02 C-classes)
5. clicking/flapping noise under the dash = broken vent linkage (not covered under extended warranty. don't feel like fixing it for $500 at the dealership)
6. squeaks from sway bar bushing (sways and thrust arm replaced under warranty. free alignment after I had lowered the car, SWEET! another common problem)
7. collapsed engine mount (replaced under warranty/extended warranty. common problem)
8. supercharger clutch bearing failed (replaced DIY $18 parts $20 labor to my dad's friend. Service advisor wanted me to change the pulley back before they warranty it. ended up cheaper just replacing the bearing myself)
that's about all that I can think of that ever gone wrong. none has happened twice yet, so all that stuff only costed me $38 in 5 years. reliability is not an issue for me.
How did you know the Supercharger clutch bearing had gone out. I ask becuase I could swear that's what wrong with my '03 C32, but the dealer says that I need to replace my supercharger even though the car works fine except that when I start it up and sometime while cold at low rpms it sounds like a noisy bearing. I can't believe it's the whole supercharge vs. some bearing. I'd appreciate your input on this. If I knew that's what it was for sure I'd do it myself. Thanks again.