View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:37 AM
cushjbc
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
I know you researched this by reading threads but I fought this problem for 4 years. My car needed a rebuilt radiator with more capacity for heat dissipation. I had a custom core installed into my OE tanks. When I installed it, I noticed for the first time my cooling system had the ability to recover from a hot run in surface traffic. As soon as I got air flowing through it again, the temp would drop noticeably to a comfortable level.

The viscous fan is what cured the "stop in traffic" heat rise. These fans are annoyingly loud but they really move air well when low or no speed provides low or no airflow.

The only thing I will ever do reference a system flush is a de-oiling process followed by a citric acid flush. I've seen first hand what that removes from a system I thought was pretty clean. I am also a permanent advocate of MB coolant (blue at the moment) mixed with distilled water (arguments continue on this ingredient but my mind is made up due to results). The problem with this is, it is a DIY project because nobody in a shop in ABQ will spend the time to do this correctly.

All of it - including mistakes along the way are outlined here:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c...-cleaning.html

Best of luck to you on this hot topic

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome