Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - Which SL 500 Model Year to choose (95,97,99)
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
mvaro2002
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Which SL 500 Model Year to choose (95,97,99)

Dear all,

I am looking to buy a SL 500 and found three options which fit into my budget but wanted the experts decision here.

First One is a 1995, First Owner, Always at Mercedes serviced car with 242.000 Miles. Outside the car does not have a scratch, inside the leather is a little tired and the roof has been replaced two years ago.

Second is a 1997 with the desirable Combo of R119 Engine with 5 Speed Automatic, 90.000 Miles, three owners and overall OK Condition meaning fluids need to be replaced, soft top windows polished and exterior has some cosmetic wear.

Third is a 1999, Facelift Model, different rear lights and recent full service.

NOW, what I wanted to ask, and maybe I am wrong, is it possible the 1999 Model is a little roomier inside ? I felt like I was sitting a little lower and maybe slightly further back than in the 97 and 95 Model. The seats in 97 and 99 are the same so thats not it.

Otherwise all three drove great, the 1999 felt the most sporty, the 1995 the most cruiser like.
The 1997 is the 40th anniversary edition with the nice burgundy red exterior which from a visual point of view is winning.

Without mentioning pricing, which one would you take and why?

And could the seating position really be different ? I am 6.3, therefore at the limit of space.

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome