Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - High mileage, well cared for OR low mileage but less records?
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 02:08 PM
cowboyt
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
True. Jeep owners seem to be similar in spirit to Harley-Davidson motorcycle owners, in that the DIY spirit is strong. The same is true in the Mercedes-Benz community, for a few chief reasons.

1.) It's horribly expensive to take these cars to any shop nowadays. Of course, that's pretty much true of any vehicle nowadays....

2.) If you do take it to a shop, it's not a Ford, Chevy, Toyota, or Honda; some of the procedures are specific to Mercedes-Benz, and you cannot be sure that the shop won't screw something up (it's happened to a lot of people).

3.) It's awfully satisfying to fix up your own vehicle and know it cold. This latter point can have serious advantages if you're in a spot.

Here's a recent example of how DIY helped me get out of a situation. This was a month or so ago. The then-fiance' (now wife) and I were in the '03 S430 running errands in town. The S430 has about 156,000 miles on its clock and runs great. We were maybe two and a half miles from home. Went to start the engine. Turned over great. WOULD NOT START. Whoops, sounds like a Crankshaft Position Sensor! Fortunately, I had bought one for all of our cars, just in case this were to happen. I had the CPS in the glove box. I could've bought a 10mm socket and 1/4" socket wrench at the local hardware store. However, it was a beautiful day, so she and I used that as an excuse to have a nice walk home. We came back with my truck, which had the tools in it, and I got to work right there in the parking lot. First time doing it. About an hour later, the CPS was replaced. S430 started right up, she drove that car home, and I drove the truck. Problem solved.

I would not have known about that without this forum. I certainly wouldn't have had the confidence to replace the CPS without having been DIY'ing our cars previously.

When we got back home, I did her car, the project 2000 S500, as a preemptive measure. It has about 146,000 miles on it, so it was probably about due. Having just done the S430 and now knowing the tricks, this one took me only about 20 minutes.

Last edited by cowboyt; 06-03-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome