Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - Any High Mileage ML/GLE's Out There? Long Term Reliability
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
FLMBenz
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 2003 E500 Sport; 2003 ML350 Inspiration; 2005 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Any High Mileage ML/GLE's Out There? Long Term Reliability

We are in the market for a used 2015+ ML/GLE (non-diesel). Based on my research, the W166 seems to be quite reliable, albeit with sporadic electrical gremlins (I'm assuming the noisy timing chain issues were corrected by 2015, but please feel free to correct me). We tend to keep our cars for a long time and the M276 engine seems to be pretty reliable (unlike the W164's M273) but I was wondering if anyone on this forum had a high mileage ML/GLE who could comment on long term reliability:

1) Any issues with carbon deposits? I know it's not a matter of "not if but when" for direct injected engines to have issues with carbon, but I'd love to hear at what mileage, cost, etc.
2) Any oil consumption issues? I know some manufacturer's recently went all-in with low tension piston rings and I've heard of oil consumption horror stories, so I'd like not to participate
3) CPO a must? Extended Warranty or just take the balance of manufacturer warranty? Option B would be Carmax and there extended warranty.
4) Are the W166's at least a little friendly to shadetree mechanics (oil changes, brakes, suspension, etc.)?

We have 2 MB's in the family fleet: an '03 ML350 and and '03 E500, so I am familiar with the cars and possess the most important thing when it comes German car ownership: ability to do most maintenance myself and a good Indy that I trust. In fact, I spent today under the ML350 replacing a trans cooling line and the fluid/filter swap.

Any thoughts would be most welcome - we are looking to purchase within the next 3 weeks or so. If the W166 falls through, we will probably get another W163 as a runabout.

Thanks to all!

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome