Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - The Bravest Man on Earth?
View Single Post
post #32 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Teutone
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1896 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
As an aside:
There are a few similarities with sailing open class Corsair or Flying Dutchman (FD), you have a steel cable coming from top of mast hooked up to a belt, the front sail rope tightly in both hands, feet spread apart on the side edge of the boat, body parallel over the water. You try to keep the boat as level as possible for max speed.
Sailing close to the wind looks great because of the angle, but is quite slow. In the winter we would do the same, but with skids under the boat for ice sailing and speeds of up to 80+ miles per hour. In the trapeze, helping to balance the boat with the butt frequently within inches of the ice was not for the faint hearted either.
Roughly from our landing across the lake was a sailors pub for people coming by boat. On their menu was a deceptively named 'mild herbal liqueur' which really was 70% alcohol to warm you up in the winter.
My cousins husband was a championship sailer competing in regatta all the time. He taught me how to sail.
Later and semi retired he had a good sized sailing ship berthed in Genova, and would sail the Mediterranean for six month a year.
He would call almost every year, and my question for how long always got the same answer, and my reply to not have the time.
Today, I wish I would have taken him up on his offer. RIP GŁnther.

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome