Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - The Bravest Man on Earth?
View Single Post
post #31 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:24 PM
H.D.
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 1988 300CE
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
The first time I saw the sidecars was in my early childhood in ‘61 or ‘62 ... in Spa-Francorchamps. ... BTW, many scenes in your video are from that race track.

I remember the top team of the first half of the 60‘s very well … Max Deubel & Emil Hörner with their BMW (the ones at 0:36 in your video). They became world champions 4 years in a row. I was at Max Deubel‘s home once in the mid 60‘s with my father and my brother.

At 0:50 in your video is the Swiss/British team Fritz Scheidegger & John Robinson with their BMW. I always wondered how Fritz Scheidegger could do that … he wore very thick glasses, he must have been half blind.

I was impressed by Helmut Fath who built his own sidecar including its 500cc inline 4-cylinder engine (!) which he called “URS“. He won together with Wolfgang Kalauch the world championship with that sidecar in 1968.

I also liked the top team of the first half of the 70‘s very much … Klaus Enders & Ralf Engelhardt on BMW. They were world champions 6 times.

My favorite sidecars, however, were the ones with the 500cc 4-cylinder two-stroke engines up from the mid 70‘s. ...

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome