Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - Starting with an SLK model R171-Best Place to Start?
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
MTUser
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2015
Vehicle: Started with a 97 E420. Got hooked. 98 S420 then 06 S500, now 11 S550. Best car I ever owned.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I am guessing, correct me please if I am wrong, your advice is based on the acceleration available with the V8 engine. So as you say, the smile on my face as I drive it.

One of the aspects that I've enjoyed about owning Mercedes cars is the ability to fix them, especially with an SDS unit. Beyond the ability to diagnose, you have to have the actually ability to do the work. My sense is the V8 crammed (shoehorned?) into the small chassis would make regular maintenance challenging? I thought the smaller engines, SLK 280 or SLK 350 would be easier to work on.

Also, my life has been guided by iteration. I would never have purchased an S550. It would have seemed like an extravagance to me. But by buying an old E420 and becoming steeped in the mystique of a Mercedes, I worked my way up to S550, and am now considering a W222.

So maybe I'll buy a roadster drive it for a couple of months and give up on it as impractical. Or alternatively, I'd get hooked and purchase a faster and more comfortable model (more expensive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrattle View Post
^ The short and simple answer to this is - get an SLK55. The only problem you will have is trying to wipe the smile off your face.

Mercedes Benz, they are addictive, 97 E420, 98 S420, 06 S500 and an 11 S550.

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome