Jyuma
Premium Member

Date registered: May 2017
Vehicle: 1983 380 SL
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Premium Member
Garage
I too refused to spend $200 bucks on a part that should cost much less. In the long run I gave up and went for the $200. Well worth not going through the aggravation I and others have gone through trying to replace the Nichrome wire.

However, if you must... take a Vernier caliper and measure the thickness of the Nichrome wire you need to replace. What you are looking to establish is the AWG (gauge) of the wire.
Here is a partial chart:
AWG size in thousandths
15 .057
16 .050
17 .045
18 .040

Obviously these sizes are very small but if remember correctly the wire in the sending unit is even smaller. Just find a chart to convert whatever the thickness of the wire you measure, to it's equivalent AWG and then find that AWG Nichrome wire on eBay. There should be plenty.

Good luck. bTw... Nichrome wire is known for it's ability to take heat (the heating coils in a toaster are Nichrome wire). It may require a lot of heat to get solder to stick to it. Probably best to make a mechanical connection and just make it captive with solder, otherwise you'll likely overheat the connection.

Nobody gets out of this life alive.

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome