Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - Cooling system lasted about 15 years! :)
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:30 AM
tjts1
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 87 300D 5 speed
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgill85258 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
What about the water pump?

Currently in the middle of swapping out the E320 radiator for an E500 radiator. Also doing hoses and water pump at the same time. The E320 radiator is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. Its the same thickness as the AC condenser. The E500 radiator core is more than double the capacity.
You know, after I got home I thought... the water pump is basically the only thing that was not changed. I wonder how long those usually last? They did a full inspection of the car and didn't say anything about it. I presume it's perfectly fine.

I'd imagine the bigger engine requires a larger radiator? My E320 stays dead center on the temp gauge at all times, without having done any hill climbing (yet) ... seems totally fine to me.
My temp gauge stays dead center too (except when I'm towing uphill) because at low speed or any time I'm sitting in traffic the cooling fan is working overtime to make up for the small radiator. 99% of people never notice it until the fan unexpectedly dies. I drive this car pretty hard so I want maximum cooling capacity.

If you're going to invest in the cooling system I would do the water pump too at the same time. Pull the water pump pulley (4 screws) and check the weep hole for any green residue. Or wiggle the water pump pulley to check for play. Mine had a slow leak and a little play. It's dirt cheap so why not. I'm not going to wait for it to fail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190503_063336668_1556890584124.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	2509442  

Triggering religious fanatics since 1969

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tjts1; 05-03-2019 at 06:41 AM.

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome