Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - SL500 - resonator deleted, Carlsson box installed
View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:36 PM
Ears
One of the BW Old Guard

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by duh_vinci View Post
Lets agree, that when a manufacturer "creates" an automobile for a general public, there are compromises to be dealt with. Even, even if there were some type of improvements in terms of power/torque gain with less restrictive exhaust, per say "no resonator", however, the noise level measured was deemed too loud to meet the "standards" (whatever those standards may be), and MB chose this resonator to been installed permanently to keep those "horrible horrible" noises down.

From an old post of 500E guys "...When contacting Gillet regarding their manufacture of the AMG E500E muffler, I enquired about deleting the center muffler section. I was told they made a few "test pieces" but it was rejected because of unacceptable noise..." Could it have improvement on performance? Possibly, but again, a compromise was reached...

I wanted to hear this m119 under acceleration, and that is now accomplished... If I gained anything overall in terms of power, great, if not, the response from the motor with this new setup is noticeably different, noticeably lighter throttle feel up to 3K rpms (the curve feels different).

I will do a full transmission Redline High Temp fluid change when I get this car back from the paint shop, and will drive the devil out of it, from what I remember, factory 1994/1995 SL500 0-60 was 6.2?

This is a soft pull on the day of the exhaust modification (no tire spin, no ASR off, no brake holding, no red line), https://youtu.be/cS4I8tMIXyU

I've tried timing few times by watching this small clip, and I get 5.85-5.9 sec with the phone stop watch... so I will make few runs with new fluids to see if there is any difference in those times (with holding the brake, with ASR off and up to red line) and another run once I swap the LH module for the WOT enriched unit. For now, love the sound of my new exhaust.

Regards,
D
Cool Beans!

Best Regards...

RM Smith
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome