Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - SL500 - resonator deleted, Carlsson box installed
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:54 AM
mahunt
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
A drop in low end torque you say?

The V12 M120 probably has a little to spare on the bottom end, I'm not worried.

I'll find out in a few weeks whether or not the resonator eliminator change has veered into self abuse with a trip to the track.

If RENNtech and MB (MY 99+ cars) saw the wisdom in removing the resonator for increases in performance, then I'm willing to roll the dice myself.

The "noise" is kind of hard to pin down as there is no difference (even with the top down) during steady state driving. In my case, the only difference in exhaust note is when the engine starts and during acceleration. It's subtle, but noticeable only due to the almost completely silent stock exhaust. I don't think anyone other than an R129 owner would notice. It's not overt in any way and the slight increase in sound during acceleration speaks volumes to the mechanical sophistication that is a DOHC 4 valve engine, quite nice.

Don't be so quick to judge unheard, besides, if you ever did hear one of these exhaust systems; you might become a convert.

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome