Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - Idiot light.
Topic: Idiot light.
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
bflobob8
Premium Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1991 560 SEC Black on Grey
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Update: Got an education on alternators today. I took out the original alternator and put in the new one and the light was not on anymore. I switched the old one back in and the light was back on with the key out so that's figured out, bad alternator. I took it to a rebuild shop that is run by this guy that has to be 70+. What a trip, you don't find places like this around here anymore. He was from Greece I believe and said he had been at the same one man shop for 30 years and had a masters from Europe in Auto electronics, by the look of his shop he hadn't thrown out a part or swept the floor or cleaned off a surface the entire time he was there. There were what had to be a couple thousand starters and alternators and whatnot everywhere you looked. Anyways he put in it a homemade contraption hooked up to what I think was about a 70s occiloscope and said after two seconds it had a bad diode. Took it to another tester and said one of the positive diodes was bad and the stator was distressed as the windings ? were different colors which he said meant a tough load at low RPM such as idling for extended periods and could also be from sitting for extended periods and crappy not fully charged batteries or a combination of things. He said the problem with the light was very unusual at least in his experience and said the bad diode had to have failed in a closed position ? to let the current flow both ways. I'm not 100% sure about that last part as my brain was glazed over by all the schematics he was drawing and the explanation was a bit over my head.
He said these alternators are about as simple and reliable as they come and really aren't worth rebuilding as he could sell me a new Bosch with the same components he would put in if he rebuilt it for $100 and it should last another 30 years. He showed me that he pays $68 for them.
Anyways so that answers the question, "why is my battery light on when the key is out"?

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome