View Single Post
post #64 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:49 PM
pdodee
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just adding my own experience and many, many thanks to all those who contributed here.

I started experiencing the exact same symptoms on my 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon last week: whining coming from the transmission, apparent loss of torque/drive, then complete loss of reverse first, then drive as well all over the course of a few days. Only a complete shutdown (wait for instrument cluster to go off) then restart gave me drive/restart for a short period to get it parked somewhere. The next day I needed to make a very short drive to pick something up (maybe 1-2km) and the Check Engine light came on while I noticed a lot of slippage in the drive. I drove it straight to my independent mechanic I've used for well over a decade.

The next morning I got the call that he'd read a multitude of errors (P0730, P2315, P2316, P2600, P2314, P2602, P2404, P2502, P220A), wasn't getting any pressure readings in the transmission, and along with the whining sound figured the transmission was shot (he gave me a much more detailed description of what he thought was wrong, but it went over my head). The kicker was that he didn't want to handle the job himself and recommended taking it to a few transmission shops. So he definitely wasn't looking for a big payday on the job.

After reading many, many threads on the topic (this one being the most helpful) I told him to replace the fluid and filter (since I'd never done it in the 10 years I've had the car), see what happens and pray for a hail Mary pass. I figured my next step would be conductor plate and connector and if that didn't fix things then I'd have to decide whether to keep the old workhorse.

Well, so far the hail Mary pass seems complete! The car is back to normal and driving fine. My mechanic couldn't believe it and apologized profusely for freaking me out.

I know from reading other people's experiences that this might be a bandaid fix, especially since I don't think the conductor plate and connector have ever been replaced (17 year old car with 262 000km on it), but I also got him to check the TCM for any oil leakage and he said it was clean as a whistle, so I'm keeping those fingers crossed for a few more years.

Sincere and genuine thanks again to all those who contributed here. If I hadn't come across this thread I'd be either selling a great condition car (had the body restored and repainted a few years ago and full suspension replaced this summer) or sobbing into my pillow between shots of whisky!

Thanks again!

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome