Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rain damage, gearbox, out of gear over 1000rpm

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  noetico 
#1 ·
Please help.
This dumm man left his sun roof open in heavy rain. At first drive of 1/2 h everuthing worked fine. but after parking for 45mins. the car started fine, but went out of gear over ±1000rpm. In reverse it hold a little longer, but not enough.
My mecanic opened the console and dried everything. He also read out the codes, and no codes were given.
What are the steps I need to take?

#5 ·
Yes, the gear shows and I can feel it is engaged (slight push forward / reverse). Although not as strong as before, I think. Same in reverse, but as soon as I throttle up to get moving, it feels like the clutch starts to slip and very quickly it loses the gear. I've tried al gears, and they show up, but none work...

#7 ·
Matt, the selector lever is considered a control module and has its own codes. Therefore, it is not a trans. problem.

And yes, his mechanic did not have a scanner or else the Selector Lever would have codes stored.

He will also have, in the near future, problems with the windows, mirrors and door locking when the lower control panel dries up.

Attachments

#13 ·
Some little addition:

Since the shifter has been cleaned and dried thoroughly twice; you will need to clear all codes in both modules (you need a good scanner, I got the Autel Maxidas after such good reviews here and I don't regret it one bit)

Scan and clear:

1. Transmission control
2. Electronic selector module

The TCU will generally register an error if the selector ECU is in error as it does with certain errors in other modules that may affect its functionality; such as some from the ECU, ABS(ESP). Sometimes you will see the error directly stating that there is an error in xyz module.

The transmission may have seen an abnormal or implausible selector lever status, and this sometimes may make the transmission malfunction.

After clearing those codes, it always helps to initialize the ECUs; so nice and since the w163 has all it needs basically in SDS; I always do that so everything is super-fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.