Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - Serpentine Belt shredded... Help?
View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 11:00 PM
W210e55
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I recognize this thread/post is very old but I have a 2001 W210 e55 that started shredding belts weekly. Shredded 5 before I took it in to the Mercedes dealer for some help. This is my son's car and outside of this issue it has been a real trooper of car. It has 156K on the clock and it runs really well but this was annoying as hell and very inconvenient when it would shred many miles from the house. Anyway, I started into a long drown out process of replacing parts before I finally figured it out. At least I think I have as it's been two weeks and 150 miles since I have thrown a belt.

Parts replaced in order:

First belt: new belt

Second belt: new belt again

Third belt: new belt + tensioner + pulley (new style)

Fourth belt: new belt + fan clutch (sorta needed to be replaced anyway)

Fifth belt: new belt + alternator (old one full of melted rubber from all the previous thrown belts)

Sixth and current belt: new belt + A/C compressor & dryer + water pump (water pump was the culprit)

So after all that it turned out that the water pump had a very slow leak and was dripping on the belt. The water and coolant was causing the rubber get slick and walk back and forth on the hub of the fan clutch. They would get extremely hot weakening the belt and you know what comes next. The leak in the water pump was very slight but would increase once the revs would get up and the engine got to operating temperature. Let this be a service to anyone who's had the dreaded shredded belt situation on these cars. Start with checking to see if you have a very hard to detect leak that's dripping on your belt.

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome