Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

32k miles 1991 560SEC BaT...

9K views 90 replies 23 participants last post by  Richter Rox 
#1 ·
#3 ·
The good: The car is one of a kind, truly an icon of an iconic model and you are gonna get record money on BaT.
The bad: Your photos are horrible.
The ugly: WTH would you not fix the headliner?

The bad and ugly will not matter, you will still put up the record money, but someone had to say it.

#4 ·
You are on the money wilson1010. Realistically the car will need 3-5k to make it right. But most likely it will be bought, put away and pop back up again for more money and still need attention. On the other hand where will someone find another? Soon I will be listing a 88 560SEL 040 black on black with 53k original miles. The big difference is this car has been driven and serviced regularly for the last 20 years. Everything documented as well. But will not fetch anywhere where this coupe will end up. Best news is that well sorted w126's will continue to appreciate in value for quite a while and dogs will be dogs. Speaking of driving, got the supercharged SEC licensed up, serviced and ready to make it my DD for the rest of the summer. Really need to do some videos with audio just to add to BW so the car will live on for current and future enthusiasts. That's what it's all about!

#6 · (Edited)
Well, I have to admit to a little bit of envy. As you know, I have a 55k 1988 560SEC, black on black, which I claim as perfect (including the new headliner, and the right set of new Michelins (who would put a Turanza on that car)) but it will probably be dumped by my widow when the time comes or captured by one of my destructive sons. Even perfect mine wouldn't touch the price of this poorly offered 1991. It will be fun to see this one go and I agree with Bob's prediction of approaching $50k.

#8 ·
Nice car, only two nitpicks I have is I can see the car's had relatively more sun than other similar mileage cars, there's is some fading on the lower speedo, the front seat leather is a bit tight from being sun kissed, the headrest has some deformation (i.e. tightening), compared to say, Henry's 560SEC AMG that recently sold. THAT one had amazing leather.

And it has ASR.

Whats up w/ that steering wheel, though?

#11 ·
You can see the differences in wood, leather, etc on Henry's car

Well, I have to admit to a little bit of envy. As you know, I have a 55k 1988 560SEC, black on black, which I claim as perfect (including the new headliner, and the right set of new Michelins (who would put a Turanza on that car)) but it will probably be dumped by my widow when the time comes or captured by one of my destructive sons. Even perfect mine wouldn't touch the price of this poorly offered 1991. It will be fun to see this one go and I agree with Bob's prediction of approaching $50k.
I'd like to thank you for all your negative comments about my car ( even on my SDL you had nothing good to say).. The Turanza Serenity Plus is one of the best tires out on the market right now and has a stiffer side wall than the Michelin's, which is better for cornering. Poorly offered ?... Please get help.

#15 ·
Mine never had a single crease or fold over. I have pictures of it on the showroom floor actually back in 1991. And my all original Becker radio works like a charm without taking up all my gorgeous trunk space. Its been used maybe a handful of times and has a deep rich amber backlight to it, really a lovely sight to see instead of that disco-ball going on in that poorly modded AMG. I'm not saying his isn't a nice car, just not comparable to mine at all in terms of originality and overall condition, his headliner is literally like having Opera drapes over your head while driving, the glue on mine is just beginning to separate.. The steering wheel is all original, not sure what there is to say about it?

#18 ·
I'm simply defending my vehicle because its my pride and joy and actually, if you read the ad.. My aunt bought it brand new in 1991 so yes, I know it pretty well and all the work thats been done to it. The money isn't a single care in the World to me. I simply do not appreciate you saying my car needs 3-5k in work, sounding like a craigslist tire kicker. Saying something like that is VERY unprofessional for someone that says to "know" these C126-W126 vehicles "inside and out".

Main goal is that it goes to a good home.
The rest is memories.

#20 ·
They were actually more money than the Michelins, and they ride better on the SEC. I have the Michelins on my 3 other 560SEL's and yes for the sedan that ARE the better tire ! Michelins are way more plush and dampen the feel of bumps. The Serenity Plus tires however handle MUCH better, absorb the bumps a notch and I mean barely noticeable difference more than the michelins. All while riding just as quiet. I suggest you give them a go on your nice 560SEC. I appreciate negative and positive comments but lets be a bit more positive / realistic here.

#21 ·
Look, pal, I've probably thrown away more Bridgestone tires than you have ridden on. The fact that you don't understand how to prep an iconic car for sale is too obvious to continue to debate. You stumbled into some money here. Good for you. Take it and move along. Maybe another aunt will leave you some Ferrari's. My aunt left us a 1953 Buick Roadmaster, but it had a colony of raccoons living in it and was melted into the dirt garage floor.

#26 ·
^ Best comment so far. Let’s all be honest with ourselves, we would all be lucky to have real example like this virtually new car with such low mileage in our stable. I would have taken care of the headliner before offering for sale. Selling a car on BAT is all about the money.
Personally i wouldn’t sell the car, I’d just enjoy it and keep it forever. Money dwindles over time a possession doesn’t. Just my to pence. GLWTS.

#27 ·
Seeing as we are nit picking here:):) I would change back the wooden shifter handle to the original one. I realize this is a matter of personal taste, but I think it would add to the overall originality of the car. That being said, the car is stunning, and I am sure it will do very well on BAT. The cream will always rise to the top and this one is the biz;)!

#34 · (Edited)
OP, I wouldn’t worry about the nit pickers on here. I have a 560sel with 16k miles bought new by my grandfather, always serviced by one of his patients, and passed on to me when he died. So pretty similar circumstances, although I wish It was a coupe like yours. Regardless, some had nothing but negative things to say about that car as well, and said it was not worth anything, but cant please everyone.

Admittedly I changed the valve cover gaskets, and the return hose line from the SLS reservoir, and there were some issues at first, more having to do with my intial lack of knowledge about the car, than the car itself, but the it has been checked over by the man who has worked on the car since new, and the Lexus dealership whose mechanic used to work at Mercedes, and both gave it a clean bill of health, as well as reiterated to me how good of shape the car is in. Solong as I don’t have to drive into the city, or drive in the rain, I’ve used it with no problems for the past 2-3 months.

As for the Michelin v Bridgestone comments, the Serenity is such a great tire that the only reason it didn’t come on the W126 new is likely because it didn’t exist. The car may be being sold as all original, but that doesn’t change the fact that the Serenity is a better tire, and also doesn’t dry rot or wear out in an obscenely short amount of time.

No doubting that this is a great car, but unfortunately, some on here are the same reason I have a hard time reading the comments on BAT. They know a lot, and I applaud them for it, but sometimes their reputation for being the “guru” leads to them thinking that whatever they say, regardless of how ridiculous it is, is gospel.

#35 ·
C'est la internet. Public forums are not private. People can and will comment. And there will always be the guy who knows best.

I like Continental tyres myself, I wasn't aware of the Michelin standard equipment thing. Possible that's a US thing.

#37 ·
I’m sorry that my tire comment has so vexed members here. It is rather simple, but since there has been no real collectability of W126 cars as classics, iconic classics, there has been little occasion to discuss what should be found on a true collector car.

I think that the BaT 32km Coupe is a collector car. If it is not to you, disregard my thoughts. You are right not to care.

In my opinion, a collector car should be fitted with an appropriate OEM tire or equivalent. I am sure that the F70-15 Goodyear on a 1968 Corvette is a POS compared to an equivalent size Kumho Ecsta but if you offered a 68 Vette in pristine condition with 32km on the clock and it has Kuhmos on it, you’d be laughed off of the site. The seller put this in his own words by trashing Henry’s disco ball radio. He was likely correct to have done so.

It is not a big deal because anyone who buys the BaT car will toss the goofy asymmetrical Turanzas and spend the $600 for a set of correct Michelins which is what all of these W126 cars were sold with in 1991. Just as they would get a Becker if he sold it with some Best Buy stereo. Small harm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.