Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - U.K.'s MotorSport & Royal Automobile Club Podcasts
View Single Post
post #28 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 01:05 PM
H.D.
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 1988 300CE
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
Jacky Ickx
… lap record holder on the old (almost 9 miles long) Spa-Francorchamps circuit. … During practice of the 1000 km race in 1973 he did a lap with an average speed of 163.7 mph in a Ferrari 312PB. The fastest lap ever at Le Mans was done with an average speed of 156.5 mph (with a Toyota TS050 - Hybrid during last year‘s practice for the 24h race).

It seemed not easy for Jacky Ickx to deal with the extraordinarily talented young driver Stefan Bellof. I remember very well how Bellof in a Porsche 956 chased Ickx in a Porsche 962 very close in front of him around the track during the 1000 km race at Spa-Francorchanmps in 1985. During that race I stayed in the pit lane. They flew past it at incredible speed, partly less than a car length apart from each other. Watching them (and the other 956‘s) go through Eau Rouge / Raidillon (which at that time was still more of a left/right combination than today) was very impressive. … I just wish Bellof wouldn‘t have tried to pass Ickx at Eau Rouge.

You can still meet Jacky Ickx at classic racing car events occasionally and he really enjoys to talk about the racing era of the 60‘s, 70‘s and 80‘s. ... I still remember the 24h race in Spa-Francorchamps in 1966 that he won together with Hubert Hahne on a works BMW 2000TI.

H.D.

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome