Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - Shocks and Springs, is there a consensus?
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 07:39 AM
roncallo
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehawk01 View Post
I have been bringing back to life a 1983 380SL for the last 2 years. I have sorted out most of the big items, now I am focusing in on some of the annoying things I have noticed.
The front sits up a bit taller than the rear. When placing the car in gear and accelerating the rear sits down even more. I have not driven another SL, so I am not sure if the ride is appropriate, but it does not seem to be as refined as I would expect from Mercedes. I am assuming that the old springs need replacing, maybe the shocks too.

I have been casually reading through old threads on the subject, but I have not been able to determine if there is actually a group consensus on some ideal shock/spring setups for the R107.

I don't need to be overly aggressive, but I would like a nice smooth ride with and to eliminate the rear squatting. Any recommendations?
Bilistein Comforts rear
Bilistein Heavy Duty front

The nose of the 107 will always rise on acceleration. They did that when they were new.

Might check your spring rubber spacers. They are available in different heights. The number of dots identified the height of the spacer. The one shown is from a 560SL with 4 dots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180521_103621972[1].jpg
Views:	44
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	2428489  

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome