View Single Post
post #40 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 04:40 PM
OKC Jeff
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2017
Vehicle: 1989 560SL
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Looks to me that this is a car that got the Miami Vice treatment in 1985ish. The headlights traded out, ground effects and a complete repaint with acrylic enamel (possibly single stage, not base/clear). Although some parts (such as bumpers and headlights) can be worth a premium, I can see that the rear bumper impact strip is dented in below the license plate and the left headlight upper aluminum molding is wavy (usually indicating it is dented), the cracked and crinkled paint on the left side of the trunk lid and radiator support surrounding the info plates and decals suggest multiple (and old) repaints. As well as possible perforated rust.

I own several 1970s-80s Mercedes-Benz cars that appear much like this one: they have nice Euro parts, and have been sitting outside for years. What I have observed is that quite often the headlight glass lenses are cracked, the chrome reflector plates are rusted, the bumpers have perforated rust coming through from the back side, and the fiberglass ground effects are old-cracked up items, regardless of "provenance".

The value question becomes not a matter of the general "what are the parts worth", but rather "what are the parts worth in their current condition"? The $500 headlight that needs $600 worth of parts, labor and shipping to get to that level is worth how much? I think anything above $1500-2500 is in the "dollar for dollar" category; for every increase in dollar value you will spend a dollar to achiever it. That includes your own time as a labor cost as well as: remove part, clean part, advertising, packaging for shipping, freight, and the time it takes to monetize the investment. Salvage yards figure 2 years to achieve full investment return.

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome