post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 09:55 AM
innovation560
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: '08 BMW 750LI, '10 Ford Expedition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Had my 126 painted about eight years ago.

Sought advice from the two best paint supply shops in town and asked who I should retain to paint the car. Both shops named the same individual. He was retired from a dealership body shop and painted in a building at his house. The car had original paint with no accidents/corrosion so it was an "easy" job. He stripped the paint/primer and left the rest. He removed every single item from the car before spraying- $3500. He used PPG products. If you saw the car most would think it was a $10,000 job.

My guy has taken some time off from painting and referred me to a shop that he has used for years when he had overflow work. I'm going to have them paint my '85 CD. Will try to strip all the hardware myself except front/rear glass. Will be using Glasurit products. Happy to share that price when it comes back. Hopefully this week.

We're both in LA- you in Los Angeles and me in Lower Alabama aka the Redneck Riviera. Try asking around at paint suppliers. My 126 came from OC. I seem to remember mechanic services in certain areas were not much more expensive than shops in Alabama. Check around you might be surprised what you find.

'85 300TDT Nautical Blue 126K
'87 300TDT Midnight Blue 188K
'87 560SL Anthracite Grey 65K
'92 600SEL Project in waiting 128K
'10 Ford Expedition 86K

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome