View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 07:53 PM
oldmako
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2013
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEC 1985 300CD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
There are a handful of things in cars where you need to dig deep and drop the coin. Unless of course, you know a guy....

If I were having a car painted, I'd want to see several cars painted by that shop in order to gauge their work.

ANYONE can paint a car and make it look nice from 50 feet.

Case in point, two years ago I bought a repainted car with a phenomenal phinish. Ordinarily, I would never consider a car with a recent respray out of fear of what has been covered up. But this car showed evidence of age in the paint. Age brings out the shit in a paintjob...the bondo, the rust. On this car, the valence panel below the headlamps is beat to hell with road grit, as is the leading edge of the hood. Apparently, the PO liked to drive fast and likely tailgated slow mofo's. It took a lot of time for that damage to occur so I figured that the paint job was already several years old. So I bought it. The paint is astonishing and must have cost someone a fortune. I spent a few hours with a buffer and some 3M Finessit to make it pop. It actually looks better now than it did when I bought it. Try that with a cheap MAACO paint job.

Long story short, whatever the PO paid to paint my car was worth it. Sometimes you get what you pay for and a high-quality paint job is very expensive.

Check out the reflections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	2347818   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3198.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	2347826   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4665.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	2347834  

Last edited by oldmako; 01-06-2018 at 06:58 AM.

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome