Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - 1984 300cd just purchased, what do you think?
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 10:01 AM
oldmako
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2013
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEC 1985 300CD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
I bought a coupe in similar (excellent) condition, tho with 155,000 miles two years ago. Prior to that, and since then I've been watching them on Ebay. I don't think what you paid is an anomaly as I have seen many at higher levels. Now, I don't know if those cars actually SOLD for those prices as eBay prices can be wonky.

But, I think I did OK. I think you did as well. As VON said, there's a lot of old junk out there which makes prices seem high. But, consider what it would take to find a rust free car in average shape and to then bring it up to this standard. A lot.

I am pretty certain that my car has been painted but I am not positive. The paint is in phenomenal condition for a 32 year old car so that makes me skeptical. And if it was painted, it was nearly disassembled and taken down to bare metal. There is zero evidence (ie overspray on window gaskets and trim, ridges in door jambs, etc) that I can see except for one tiny tiny dot on a fender. That dot would have been the result of an oily contaminant in the gun as the car was being sprayed. I doubt it left the factory like that.

My point is, that kind of quality paint-job would cost thousands of dollars. Put that on a decent 5K coupe and you're quickly into the kind of money you paid for your car.

My buddy raised his eyebrows when I told him what I paid (8K) for mine. But, every time I look at it, and every time I drive it I know that its worth that to me. I believe that I could sell it for a profit, or at least break even. I have no plans to sell this car. I absolutely love it.

Keep watching eBay and Bring a Trailer etc. I think you'll see your price rationalized over the next year or two.

Enjoy your new coupe.

Last edited by oldmako; 10-09-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome