Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 2016 C300, 2006 S430, 2003 C240, 1991 190E 2.6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG_Benzo27 View Post
Hey everyone,

so a friend of mine has a 2005 CLK 320 [.......] so here's my question, is it possible to get a replacement key fob (possibly off ebay or another 3rd party website) and program it yourself or would she have to go get one directly from the dealer?? ...............other than going to the dealer, which I know is expensive. Any info helps! Thanks!!
Here’s a straight conventional response to your question: NO, it is not possible to re-program an already used key. Not even SDS can re-code/re-flash these keys. Once coded to a car, it is married for life. Like @Harv81 said, you can replace the shell by swapping the PCB of your old key into a new shell. It must be the same key generation shell.

Since MB smart keys are Theft-Related Parts, if ordered through the dealer, you must show proof of ownership, registration/title & a photo ID that matches the paperwork presented. Keys cost anywhere from $250-500, depending on the car’s MY & model.

Here’s the unconventional response: We have a couple forum members who can repair these fobs depending on the issue. Your problem is simple since it is still a working key. @93SoCal400E has repaired keys of fellow members recently with positive results. @93SoCal400E and @Dave2302 ’s knowledge of smart keys & repairs/coding are legendary. You can even upgrade your key to the chrome shell key, but will involve swapping the eefrom chip from your old working key to a new shiny chrome key.

Here’s a link you can do some reading: https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ossible-7.html

If you are going with swapping shells yourself, please do not buy the Chinese made shells. They are a POS, (for luck of a better word) worthless and does not fit right. The metal blade key does not even stay on some. You are better off with a shell from a used OEM genuine key.

Of course, based on or in accordance with what is generally & traditionally done, replacement or additional keys are ordered only from the dealer.

BTW, where is your friend’s other key for the car? Having just one available key is a disaster waiting to happen.

Good luck.

Last edited by Coddger; 02-03-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome