Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Boosted ML350

5K views 37 replies 8 participants last post by  RustyPanda 
#1 ·
Welcome ! Now that I have click baited you to this thread I'd like to explain my idea and my problem. So the plan is classic universal fleabay turbo kit with probably a lot of fabrication which isn't a problem. The issue is the ECU I have searched far and wide to confirm if the ml ecu is even tunable and if a program exists that would let you tune it yourself. Overall I was thinking it would be an interesting project and fun see what kind of power gains happen running some low boost

#3 ·
Hmm ok that saves the hassle of going aftermarket. I might bring the car to a performance shop somewhere here in Edmonton to confirm if they would be able to tune it but if that checks out this might actually become a project come Christmas time. My next big worry would be injectors and the maf but there's not really any way to know if they will work out until it's tested

#4 ·
Also I feel like I should explain my plan in a little more detail. I was thinking I could buy most of the intercooler piping and the intercooler from eBay because cost to quality wise it's pretty hard to beat. As for the turbo I want to go for a small to medium sized single turbo and run maybe 5-8 pounds of boost. Most of the turbo parts and fittings I'll probably find at a couple of local junkyard s and mix and match things together. I probably will be taking my oil pan off anyway because my oil level sensor shit the bed so it'll be a good time to tap the pan. After that I'll be looking for a spot to find high pressure oil for the turbo feed but I will look into that. As for exhaust I'll be fabricating most of that myself.

#5 ·
Will be an interesting project I hope it works.
I've never been keen on single turbo on a v configuration engine. It has to unbalance the exhaust gases I would imagine. I'm probably over thinking it all though. Keep us updated with plenty of pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Yeah single turbo plus a v type engine is maybe not the most common but definitely possible. As nice as twins would be it wouldn't be logical cost wise especially for the 5-8 pounds of boost I'm looking to make. I'll probably start scavenging for parts this weekend and ill make sure to take lots of photos

#7 ·
matt, single turbos on V engines are actually a very good idea, you can run a bigger turbo with less lag and a lower boost threshold because you've got more exhaust gases driving the turbines. There is a concern about untimed exhaust pules, but that's been solved decades ago, with something called the twin scroll turbo.

#11 ·
Tuning ECU, you can.........Turbo? You will melt your engine.
If you want a boost, you need to supercharge your 112 engine. 112 &113 engines with 722.6 trannies, will withstand a supercharger without damage..........
I have been looking around for a E55 supercharged AMG engine, so I can get the supercharger for my 55..............it will fit the 500 as well.............

#14 ·
Tuning ECU, you can.........Turbo? You will melt your engine.

If you want a boost, you need to supercharge your 112 engine. 112 &113 engines with 722.6 trannies, will withstand a supercharger without damage..........

I have been looking around for a E55 supercharged AMG engine, so I can get the supercharger for my 55..............it will fit the 500 as well.............

My friend has one art that he has been trying to sell me. I think it came out of a SLk55. Engine, gearbox,ECU and everything else needed to swap. But he wants more than I can afford.
I would love it though.

#12 ·
Just take the engine from a SLK32 or C32 AMG and put it in your car. Bam, nearly 400+ hp.

Supercharged M112k engines. Or take the supercharger, intake manifold and whatever AMG specific thats on that engine, and port it to your car.

Be a million time easier than doing it the hard way.

#13 · (Edited)
Sorry but im not seeing how mild boost is going to melt my engine . Im talking 5-8 pounds with a good inter cooler heat really shouldn't be an issue and if it is i can always go for a bigger oil cooler and radiator. Plus Im talking Ml350 here Im 90 percent sure? a supercharger for a 500 or 55 is a no go. Ive looked around but it seems like the V6 guys are shit outta luck.As for swaps i have thought pretty extensively about those also but first off threres definitely not many AMG engines laying around here in Alberta and especially not for a price id be looking to pay. Plus im looking for uniqueness because i dont think Ive ever seen a turbo ml350. I like that this build is grabbing some attention and look forward to more input but i think im pretty set on turbo-ing the stock motor

#15 ·
A swap would be nice but now the gears are churning in my head because i really dont know how much cheaper or easier it would be ? I feel like you would probably end up needing to buy more little things to complete the swap than even doing a custom setup . Plus sourcing odd mercedes parts can be a PITA and very $$$$$

#19 ·
Way I see it, your turbo project will end up costing more in the long run because you're pretty much on your own. I can count on one hand people turboing their MB engines (and by that I mean actual successful turbo job)....and they haven't shared the details.

Supercharging, on other hand, has been around. MB did it at factory, so there's support. People also have done supercharging and there's documentations around.

There was a guy on W210 forum saying he wanted to turbo his E430....he talked big, saying that he was gonna do it.

That was months ago, and he hasn't posted since then. Take what you will from that.

You are probably a100% correct I'm only going of a conversation with him 6months ago. My bad memory. So I would imagine it would of been out of a sl55 then. He wants $6500 for it.

Ouch, no wonder. I'd pass on that too.

#20 ·
Matt, you can try getting the supercharger & the intercooler only from the SL55 engine. Knowing your "abilities", it will take you a day or two to do the conversion.......Manifold comes out & the supercharger fits instead. You will also need to mount the intercooler in the front & pull the hoses from the scharger to the intercooler..........
Another option is look for an accident damaged car & buy the supercharger......Of course it must be one of the models Deplore mentioned.

Rusty your choice is C32 AMG or SLK32 AMG supercharger + intercooler, as Deplore mentioned. No point getting the complete engine. Plus your 112 is 3,7 liters compared to 3,2 of C32 or SLK32.

And the beauty of all this is NO tranny or engine modifications needed!!!!!!

#21 · (Edited)
Well you guys both make some solid points I won't argue with that. As for information your right I haven't seen any posts about it so I'm kinda flying in blind here but if it goes well I'd be happy to share with others and if it doesn't then I guess I can warn others. I am going through university so don't expect a load of cash to be thrown at it but if you guys don't hear something by the end of January you know I've chickened out . Also if I can find a Mercedes super charger for cheap I'm definitely going to give it a shot but the biggest problem is getting ahold of one

#24 · (Edited)
Ehhh think what you want to think at the end of the day its my vehicle so im going to do whatever i want to. Just because some people are afraid to try something doesnt mean i have to be.I think itll be a fun project maybe you guys will be right and it turns into a complete disaster but maybe not time will tell i suppose

#26 ·
Go for it!!!! we would all be still driving modelT fords if people didn't try new stuff. I hope it works out really well. You've given me the enthusiasm to try and get this 55k engine off my friend.
Spoke to him this morning and he's keen to get rid of it.

#27 ·
It is, yeah. But it shouldn't be too hard to find just the supercharger for a M112... If people are selling the supercharger for M113, then it stands to reason that there's others who are selling for M112.

The reason why we're giving you such tough love is because going the custom route means serious $$$$. It's not like Chevy LS1 or Ford coyote where a couple bolts on mods double the power...you'll be basically paving the way yourself. Finding someone who can fab the exhaust manifolds, custom exhaust, custom wiring harness (what, you thought you could get by on stock wiring harness? Think again), someone to tune the ECU so it plays nicely with the forced induction and the TCU needs to play along too....

In short, you'd need a minimum of 10k to start.

Now, adapting a supercharger, that's not too difficult. You just have to cast a very wide net to catch a car that has a M112k engine, or find someone parting out the car....

Either way, you'll be playing the long game. ;)

#28 ·
@Deplore your very right ill be keeping my eyes out for a supercharger for sure ! As for the custom work most of that will be done by me i have access to a pipe bender lathe and lots of other tools and i can weld. Its definitely not my first rodeo but your 100% right when it comes to wiring, sensors and tuning thats where it get sorta tricky in my eyes but we will see how it goes
@mattml430 if he sells it cheap it would be awesome to see you go the swap route ! and compare the amount of work to turboing

#34 · (Edited)
Guys I think I may have found a way to be able to tune the car myself . I could go with and aem or greddy piggyback ecu which would let me tune the car well enough to bring it to a dyno where the pros can work there magic. The next big hurdle is finding a good wiring diagram from the Mercedes ecu so I know which wired to tap into. The most ideal setup would be a program that would let me tinker with the Mercedes ecu straight from a laptop but I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist yet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.