Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - RM Southeby's 1989 560 SEC DOHC 6.0 Widebody
View Single Post
post #30 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 12:29 PM
oisaj_dude
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: '83 380SEC AMG'ed euro, '92 500SL, '91 190e 2.6 5-speed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowphat View Post
I'm a fan of Widebodys. The car that's the subject of this thread is pretty damn stunning - and the 6.0 DOHC engine is the cream of the crop. But of all of the WB exterior color schemes I've seen, I find the darker ones the most appealing. Besides that dark just looks better on the WB (IMHO)I think it has to do with the fact that when the body is light colored (and I especially feel that this applies to the color silver) it overemphasizes the generally dark space between the edges of the fenders/wheel cutouts (meaning the whole edge of the entire wheel arch/cutout from end to end) and the lip of the rims (assuming we're talking about silver lipped rims). I think that this results in the cutouts looking too big - and as if they don't "hug" the wheels/tires enough which, in turn, makes the body look like it's sitting too high. I get that the extent to which a car has been lowered can minimize this. But there's still a large "gap" where the arches open out from a simple circular shape at the ends where they're closest to the road that lowering can't compensate for. Look at the pic of the silver car below and maybe you'll get what I'm trying to describe. The other one's a pic of my WB. It's not a straight on side shot of mine, and mine's probably a touch more lowered than the silver one, but my point is that since my whole car is dark colored, the size of the gap between wheels and body - especially at the bottoms of the arches - is less noticeable.

...I have trouble being brief......
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRH View Post
I agree with Marco any widebody "is good" but the dark paint does give it that more aggressive and mystique stance and blends any of the panel joins and wheel gap a bit better than the light colours
Agreed, there is something about how the darker paint handles the fenders.
Though I must say its refreshing to see a WB that isn't black or Blauschwarz
(Regardless, lowphats example is one of my favorites):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 3.26.22 PM.jpg (26.8 KB, 121 views)

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome