Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Adblue Issues

38K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  Witek_M 
#1 ·
I own a 2013 ML350 Bluetec, at around the 14,000kms mark the yellow check engine light came on and then the adblue 10 starts remaining warning. Took to the dealer and they said it was a software issue and claims to have fixed it. Got the car back drove around 150-300 kms and they light and warning came on again. Took to the dealer and is currently still sitting there. They said they contacted factory/ headquarters in germany to see whats up with the car, they are still waiting on a word back. They said mechanically there seems no issues its some sort of software glitch they are trying to solve. The car has had its yearly service at the dealer with adblue refills. Will update as it progresses. Any one else have these issues?

#2 ·
Got word back from dealer in vancouver that it was a ecu problem and the replaced the entire ecu, all under warranty, taking for final road test today, if all goes well I get the car back tomorrow, going to talk about extended warranty and see if they will comp me one (which I doubt, but worth a try) anyone else out there with adblue issues like mine??????? No? okay bye now

#29 ·
Recently purchased a W166 ML350 Pluetec, engine light and warning appeared about 200km later, I was also told bythe dealer that it was a software problem, but disagreed with him, so authorised a delete of the Adblue which the dealer paid for. So far, no more problems

#4 ·
got my car back today, the dealer replaced the entire computer system (the brain of the car) as told by mb headquarters in germany, says this was quite rare, they have sent the parts to germany for diagnostics and research, other than that the car drives well and no issues. All was under warranty but if it wasnt wouldve cost me $5000cdn, now thinking to get extended warranty or trade in to get GLE Coupe (non diesel this time) when it comes out, any thoughts?

#5 ·
that's the first I have heard of. must have been a hardware issue where the dealer can't fix it. I don't like any new diesel due to the adblue crap now. If they would let them breathe they would get 10 more mpg, but the tree huggers would yell due to black smoke.

#18 · (Edited)
That is total bull. Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) technology improves gas mileage. SCR allows the engine to be fully optimized. See —e.g., https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/MB10033.pdf —i.e.,

Q. What are the advantages for the fleet in using SCR technology?

A. Cummins 2010 engines will deliver what customers need in these challenging economic times. Cummins 2010 heavy duty engines utilizing SCR will provide substantial fuel economy improvement, up to 5%. SCR catalyst technology allows much greater NOx conversion efficiency, thereby allowing the engine to be fully optimized, which contributes to this fuel economy improvement. Another benefit to the improved fuel consumption is less frequent Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) cleanout, thereby further reducing costs.
...and, from Mack Trucks:

HOW DOES SCR IMPROVE FUEL EFFICIENCY?

SCR affords the opportunity to fine tune engine efficiency, optimizing combustion that directly improves horsepower while significantly improving fuel economy. Additionally by using the available engine-out NOx we can better manage passive exhaust heat temperatures that allow for dramatically reduced Diesel Particulate Filter active regeneration events that consume expensive diesel fuel.

#10 ·
Adblue issues

Its been less than 2 weeks and even with a new computer system the check engine light has come on again with the same "10 starts remaining" warning. I have now idea what is going on, looks like its back to the dealer again! This is starting to get ridiculous, the Flagship dealer in BC needs to get their shit together and fix my car properly. The looks of it I might have to go to arbitration and get an extended warranty from them. This looks bad on Mercedes in general, any advise on what I should do here guys?

#30 ·
Adblue issues

Its been less than 2 weeks and even with a new computer system the check engine light has come on again with the same "10 starts remaining" warning. I have now idea what is going on, looks like its back to the dealer again! This is starting to get ridiculous, the Flagship dealer in BC needs to get their shit together and fix my car properly. The looks of it I might have to go to arbitration and get an extended warranty from them. This looks bad on Mercedes in general, any advise on what I should do here guys?
Delete the Adblue, get the dealer to do it (software), what the CPU doesn't know won't bother it

#13 ·
I'm still under warranty, they have changed the entire compute of the car and is still having the same problem, I think it's the temperature/ level sensor since there is plenty of adblue and I am not in freezing conditions, but no diagnostic code. These mechanics rely to heavily on their computers and I don't know if they physically check what is wrong unless the computer says so. i bought this car brand spanking new so I don't have to run in to problems like this, at only 15000 km over 2.5 years this is ridicoulous, the car itself runs great but the adblue system is a nuisance, my first and last diesel, maybe my first and last mercedes, but looking at the gle 450 coupe non diesel

#14 ·
I googled your problem and came up with the info that this has been happening for years now. I'm sure you have done this also and found that it's a common problem with other Mercedes diesels. It's funny how the car companies will act like it's a new problem and will not fix it until after a class action suit is filed while acting like they've never heard of it before because is cheaper for them to act stupid. They act like they don't know that it is a low level sensor and play dumb. I saw this in Honda that has an ignition switch problem and has had the same problem for decades in all of their cars. They act like they don't know the problem when it's common. Honda has had millions of cars recalled since 99 for their ignition issue and it's still an issue that comes out in today's cars and their mechanics have been told to act dumb. So I would take the car to a good mechanic that has his own shop and is not connected to Mercedes and have him look at it. If he can't find a problem then I would have him change out the low level sensor. When companies have a problem with a car that starts costing them a lot of money they have 2 choices. Either recall all of them and fix it, which will cost them $$$ even if they have a fix, or just do nothing and pretend they've never had the problem before. Taking it to a good mechanic out of Mercedes control might get your car fixed a lot quicker.

Sorry for the long rant but Honda just tried pulling their crap on my mother in law when her car would die when she was turning the steering wheel to make a corner, causing her to almost coast off the road in a stalled car. I googled it, found the problem, then sent the sons in to tear Honda a new hole for putting mom's life at risk over a 25 year old known problem.

Anyway you were asking about the gas over diesel and for me I just bought a 2012 ML Bluetec strictly for towing my Casita travel trailer because the diesel has way more torque and gets great mileage even when towing this light 2500lb trailer. I researched gas over diesel for months, looked at all of the different brands and came up with the ML leading the pack for what I need. This isn't my first diesel but it is my first Mercedes Diesel. As far as gas goes, if it's for you, a fully loaded SL made great sense for us. In order to use the Car pool lanes in San Francisco you either need to have 3 people in your car or drive a 2 seater roadster, so we bought the fully loaded 2011 SL for making trips to the city and we love it. Just starting it by pushing the button on the top of the stick shift is the coolest as it can get. So for me, gas is for one kind of enjoyment and diesel is for another :)

#15 ·
Disabling AdBlue

Hello everyone! There is a device to disable the system BlueTec. Very simply connected, the owner of the vehicle is no longer necessary to add a liquid AddBlue, no need to replace the component to faulty. Who are interested - write, send instructions and give the necessary explanations.

#16 ·
Thanks for the reply

I would love to take it to an Indy shop, but the car is under warranty, I'm not paying anything out of pocket right now, I just hope they can finally fix it , maybe I'll take it to another mb dealership,

If I take it to a Indy dealership will it be covered under warranty? Will it void the warranty?

I'm planning to trade this car by the end of the year unless they can provide me with some kind of extended warranty to keep my piece of mind.

again with only 15000kms these problems are absurd.

Hopefully they resolve this soon.

#17 ·
Got my car back today again, and they said that the nox sensors and the adblue sprayer (forgot the technical term) was faulty so they replaced those parts as well, hopefully this is the last of these problems, will keep you guys updated in regards to this issue (if anyone cares).

#21 ·
Probably when you threaten to start Lemon Law proceedings. That will most certainly get MBNA involved.

#25 ·
My adblue heater and sprayer have been defective on two occasions. Box nox sensors and the MAF have also been replaced. I love my truck but I don't love brining it in every month. You would think MB would know by now the internet exists and people do a lot of research before buying vehicles. Not sure I'll ever by another ML350 Bluetec or MB for that matter. I am very frustrated seeing the new MB commercials on T.V "Mercedes, the best or nothing".....I should have chose nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.