Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Trunk Handle Extracts Post Lid Closure Solution

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  hellah fresh 
#1 ·
If you have the problem (not that uncommon) of the trunk handle extracting after closing the trunk lid. Mine happened in the cold mornings only (your may happen all the time), sometimes it may happen in 10 seconds or way longer. This cannot be ignored since when the trunk handle is extracted the trunk lights will be illuminated acting as if the trunk lid is open even though it is closed. The following is the solution.

I performed a minor adjustment of the lock assembly micro switch by bending ever so slightly the metal lever of the micro switch toward the locking cam to improve the sensitivity performance of the micro switch when the trunk lid is closed. All is now in order and the trunk lock, handle and soft close are working just as well as when new.

Seth

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for your post Seth. I occasionally have this issue too so I will look into this. The proper way of course it to pull the pump and cleaning it. That solved ALL issues I had with closing when I did it on my other 140.

However, I would like to point out the trunk handle does not control the trunk lights. I know this because I frequently lock my trunk while keeping the lid open. and the trunk lights are off even when the handle detracts

#4 ·
The entire "system" is complex and interactive as we all know. Quite a high price to pay for the luxury of a soft closing mechanism and a retracting handle so you don't get your hands dirty if the car is dirty but I am sure those points have been discussed many times.

When all is working as designed it is a marvel and satisfying but when not there are many things that could be the problem.

Mine was an intermittent issue as I stated (on cold mornings) so if intermittent this is most likely your problem too.

This may help you and others as well. Besides it is "NO COST REPAIR" can't beat that!

#6 ·
This is my opinion only because I repair many PSE's...

To have a foundation for pressure like one would be solving a rough idle on a engine. The push pressure of the PSE must be 20 to 25PSI. The push pressure(unlock) is the hardest process for the PSE. If your in the mid to late teens. Issues start to happen.

I have tee fixture to put on each PSE line, and a pressure gauge, yet one can use a decent bicycle pump with a gauge, and get a shraeder valve for a ball, or from the tire shop...

Generally, two seconds is about 20 PSI(count 1001 & 1002) if it takes little longer, you are below 20PSI. The pressure should hold if it does not too. Follow the pressure near the diaphragm.

Check the connection at the PSE. The connection can swivel in clock pattern, but no wobble at the connection...

This is possible, that the line has had a leak for a while, and the end-of-pressure contacts have been bent in the PSE, so the pressure to the trunk handle does not get enough air time(so it never pressurizes fully). The PSE thinks it has fully pressurized.

I know I'm opening pandoras box with this. It is like teaching everyone how to repair an audio amp on these cars. Too many avenues. It is kinda difficult to describe the whole process..

Just make sure the door locks open fast on a cold day. Then measure pressure everywhere. Then look for leaks with a smoke machine...

Martin

#7 ·
Martin,

I had read your older post regarding the PSE motor and just ordered a couple of Johnson Electric 12V Motors - Extreme Torque Output - 6 oz. in. - 6600 RPM which you had previously recommended just to have it in my parts stock. Since other than leaks which you outlined above, the failing motor is the most common problem associated with a PSE. I was planning another trip over to Harbor Freight to pick up a vacuum/pressure tester. With all the vacuum systems on our vehicles I am sure it is a must have.

I am assuming with the age of our vehicles it is just a matter of time for the motor (brushes) to give up the ghost.

The component list is growing longer and longer for which you are an expert. Yes I am keeping track.

Seth

#9 ·
Just a quick question. My pse pump has been out for quite some time now and im getting ready to replace the pump. With the handle being out of the trunk will cause the trunk light to stay on even tho the trunk is completely shut?

Also the fix... you just bent the silver part towards the big latch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.