Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

DPF,,,, who's had to replace one?

13K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  kompboy 
#1 ·
2014 GLK250 we have owned since new, now with 77k miles . Over the past few months it's been to the shop numerous times for the CEL. It's always turned out to be some sort of sensor(s) failing. last week the light came on again and I scanned it myself and came up with P2002 "Particulate Trap Efficiency below threshold, bank 1". I cleared the code and took it for a drive and after about 5 miles it came back. So now it's at the shop again. They say the DPF needs to be replaced and being that the car is under warranty (extended warranty has paid for itself with this car!) they need to discuss this with the Mother Ship.

So,,,, anybody else have to replace the DPF?

#2 ·
I''ve seen a number of reported problems on various boards. I've never had the problem, nor any other for that matter, but discussing these various issues with the assistant service manager at my dealer, he tells me it's a continuing problem. There are a number of service advisories put out on it. Much of the problem is poor knowledge of the various technicians. My dealership sits on one of the major interstates from the midwest, I-80. The problem existed with the Sprinters that were used by motor home manufacturers in the midwest. Because of the lack of knowledge of some repairers, my guy was designated by M-B to inspect and repair the units going to California via that interstate. It's been a common problem for ALL diesels, not only M-B. I've lost the LI # put out by M-B but any competent dealer has ready access to these bulletins and should be able to clear the problem if they are competent.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. The car is still at the dealer and they are supposedly talking with tech support to figure out why all the sensor issues and now the DPF.

I'm glad my wife pushed for the extended warranty on this car because it has paid for itself. She really likes the GLK but we are thinking of dumping it before the warranty is over.

#6 ·
I have a 2013 GLK 250 and up until 100,000 KM has been trouble free. I am now starting to have P2002 codes, DPF operating below threshold. From what I have read many "clean diesels" have this problem. There is a pressure sensor which detects back pressure in the exhaust which is indicative of a restricted DPF (diesel particulate filter). There are cleaning cycles (regen cycles) which are suppose to give a blast of DEF fluid into the exhaust which apparently blast the particulates away, reducing the back pressure. I have cleared the code and the engine check light is now off. Who knows for how long. This is apparently more of a problem with city driven vehicles. Ours is almost all highway miles.
The more I hear of this problem the more I want to unload the car. I regret not going for the GLK350. I believe the fuel savings will be non existent considering the repairs to the Blue Tec system. The engine is solid but everything after in the exhaust will prove to be very problematic. I have driven Benzes for years and usually put on 500,000 KM before trading to something newer. Our old 2000 230 Kompressor has 550,000 on it and had very few repairs and still runs great. This GLK 250 I don,t think will ever do this mileage without breaking the bank.
I like the driving dynamics on long trips and the fuel mileage. The ergonomics are abysmal to say the least. I have a feeling you won,t be able to give these cars away as they get older. What a mistake this car has been..

#7 ·
Hope your assessment is incorrect and it may be judging from how 'hot' those cars are when returned from lease. There haven't been many problems with the Sprinter vans using the same technology and engines, and they've been around a good while longer. Where there have been issues they are aggravated by untrained or incompetent technicians. Where the techs are knowledgeable the problems, if any, are immediately solved.

#8 ·
Bob338. I truly hope you are correct. As an engineer we tend to be sceptical. My wife loves the GLK250 more than me so I will have to deal with the issues. I do all my own maintenance using all the Benz spec lubricants. I recently did trans fluid change using 45dF as a fluid level check. It was not a big deal like if you have the right oil pan adapters. As I understand the exhaust system and its complexities I will address the current issue of P2002. It is good to see someone optimistic on this engine, I hope you are correct,,,

#9 ·
Bob338.. I am surprised at how many components are changed by dealers to resolve problems with the exhaust on these engines. I would have to agree with you that they are throwing parts at the vehicle until the problem is resolved with no logical problem diagnosis. That may be OK during in the warrenty period but very costly after it ends. I am serious about understanding the system but may be held back by specific tools required. I will let you know how it works out. I am in Florida for a few months and may take it to a dealer here as the services in Canada are abysmal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.