Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2015 GLK 250 check engine light on again

12K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Planethill 
#1 ·
The first time CEL on is around 500 miles, 2 weeks after the purchase of the car.The NOX sensor was replaced. The check engine light is on again today, 2000 miles and 2 months.

What is the problem of this car? and it also comes with the ESP light on.....

And it has a burning smell one time without any lights on. The smell doesn't happen again.

Any suggestion...........I missed my VW TDI

#5 · (Edited)
That error indicates a problem with the ESP traction control. It could be caused by dozens of things, but without knowing the codes you are playing darts in the dark.

Do you own a code reader?

Hi,
I have the same problem, but I bought my GLK 250 used. I took it to the dealer and they said it was a $4000 fuel filter that was covered by the warrantee. They replaced it and the light went out for 2 months and 2000 miles later it is back on. Does anyone know what is going on or should I look into my states "lemon" law?
Troubled in Colorado
The problem is that those two instances could have been caused by completely different things. Without knowing the codes its just a guess.

The CEL comes on periodically and I'm wondering if this is a common problem with the GLK 250? Has anyone used the lemon law to return the GLK 250 with CEL problem?
There is no such thing as a "Check Engine Light Problem". The Check Engine light can come on for literally thousands of different reasons. Some complex and some incredibly simple (like leaving your gas cap off or too loose). You need to know the codes.

(Anybody see a trend here? :grin)

#3 ·
Hi,
I have the same problem, but I bought my GLK 250 used. I took it to the dealer and they said it was a $4000 fuel filter that was covered by the warrantee. They replaced it and the light went out for 2 months and 2000 miles later it is back on. Does anyone know what is going on or should I look into my states "lemon" law?
Troubled in Colorado

#12 ·
Wow this is almost identical to my situation. I'm in California. DPF filter replaced at 10k miles after my CEL and they said there were sensor issues. 6 mo this later same check engine light came on again. They had my car for over a week running diagnostics and after replacing some parts and updating software, they advised I should be good to go. 4 days later I'm there again with the same issue. I expressed my satisfaction with the dealership who referred me over to the customer service number for Mercedes of North America. I told the associate I do not want this vehicle any more - no one can seem to fix whatever is wrong with it and I don't feel my car is representative of the quality and reliability I should expect. I am waiting to hear back from a "executive referral associate" by end of day Monday. Have you looked into anything yet??

#6 ·
No, I don't have a code reader. After spending a week at the dealer for scheduled maintenance and repair of the CEL with extra checking by a rep from corporate office, we got the car back only to have the CEL come on again the next day. So, now the GLK 250 is back at the dealer where they are ordering another replacement part. The CEL problem is getting more frequent. Anyone else have similar problem with GLK 250? Worth getting a lemon lawyer to get this resolved or is that necessary?

#7 ·
If you went to a medical forum and said "I was sick. And two months later I was sick again! Can I file malpractice?" What do you think they would say? Was it a cold? Was it cancer? Did you hit your head? Lose your leg?

They didn't "repair the check engine light". They fixed a particular issue. What exactly was broken? What exactly did they fix? What part did they order exactly?

You can't talk lemon law if you don't even know what the issue is.

#8 ·
The only persistent and repetitive problem about which I've heard is for the DEF and emissions control. They put out a bulletin for the repair of it and still some incompetent technicians didn't read it and couldn't fix it. Points made by Planethill are valid. You need to know the source of the issue before reaching conclusions. My first impression with problems such as this, is unknowledgeable and incompetent technicians. The problems are usually minor and easily repaired by competent mechanics.

#9 ·
After a month of constantly taking the 2014 GLK 250 to the dealer with the CEL coming on, Mercedes agreed that it is a lemon and purchased it back today. They didn't agree on the mileage on when the problem first appeared but decided as goodwill gesture that they would buy it back at the mileage when I first experience the CEL problem. They think the source of the issue with the CEL was the emissions control but they couldn't fix the problem even after keeping the car for two weeks and having corporate check the car before returning to me then having the light come on again the next day. They said the CEL originally came on for a different issue which was fixed so didn't want to use that mileage for the lemon buyback. However, I'm not convinced that there is still some unknown issue which is causing the CEL to come on and they thought they had fixed it originally.

#10 ·
I'm not convinced that there is still some unknown issue which is causing the CEL to come on and they thought they had fixed it originally.

There is no such thing as an "unknown issue" causing the check engine light to illuminate. The light comes on for one reason only: When a particular type of error code is set, and there are hundreds. If you don't know what those codes are (or didn't ask for a printout) then we will never know what the original problem was, what fixes they attempted, what options could have been tried or if they were even competent in any of the above. Without the codes it remains a mystery, and you are at the mercy of their word, right or wrong.

Glad you got a resolution you are happy with however. What did you replace it with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#11 ·
They have error codes from the CEL but even after fixing the problem, the light came on again within a few days after getting the car back. They tried switching the sensor to a different car and it didn't have any problem. Thus, although the CEL has a code that triggered it, I'm not sure it was actually triggered by what the code indicated. I think maybe there is an electrical problem with the car which caused the CEL to be triggered and they haven't identified the cause of this electrical problem. In any case, I'm happy to move on. I bought a 2016 GLE 550e at about $3k below INVOICE using PenFed dealer incentive of $2k for 2016 GLE. Had a hard time finding the exact car I wanted since there isn't much GLE 550e supply. The 2017 aren't out yet and there aren't many 2016 with driver assist package.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.