Funny whirling sound on my GLK 350 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > X204 GLK Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Post Funny whirling sound on my GLK 350

I was sitting reading the instruction book in my GLK, with the key off (push start) and it's was very quite and I hear a small whirling noise for maybe 15-20 seconds. Then it does it again in maybe one minute, it always does that, I have the key fob in my pocket. It almost sound like a little pump or something, I am sure it's normal, but just curious what it is, and would it eventually run the battery down? I love my GLK, and I am very impressed with the ride.
waynecarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 04:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 2010 GLK 220CDI BlueEFFICIENCY 4M
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynecarsen View Post
- it's was very quite and I hear a small whirling noise for maybe 15-20 seconds. Then it does it again in maybe one minute, it always does that, I have the key fob in my pocket.
We have noted the "noise", which is not unlike the sound of the spinning CD, a part of the NAV-system in our last car. When the NAV CD was not inserted, the system did search for it at - intervals.

I don't know for sure what is the origin of "noise", in the GLK, however does unlocking the vehicle start the "preflight" (preparations) of it. A part of these are making the Audio, whichever system is installed, available for use. There is a controller incorporated in the system, so maybe the "noise" is a fan or a laser seeking for a CD etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynecarsen View Post
- and would it eventually run the battery down?
Not this electrical-/electronic circuit alone, as this particular circuit most likely is not active when the car is locked, which could be confirmed by locking it while sitting in it. NOTE: The Anti-theft alarm systems on the European market have an Interior motion sensor which can be deactivated by a switch, before arming the alarm.

However, together with all the other (small) sources of battery surge / "drainage" at standstill, its internal surge included, it reduces its capacity over time, given the ride is not frequently "taken on a spin". Faster during cold(er) environmentals, which is the reason why we have an integrated battery charger to "refresh" the battery from time to time. That is good practice for its longevity as well.
Glkka2H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

I do not have the Nav system, thanks for your Ideas and answers. I will try locking the car and see if it stops.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

UP Date, I sat in the car with doors locked, key in my pocket (push button start).

I still hear that very light whirling sound. Sure is weird.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 2010 GLK 220CDI BlueEFFICIENCY 4M
Hmmm, then we are noticing different whirling sounds. Based on your feedback did I now enter our GLK, locked the doors, i.e. armed the Anti-theft alarm (ATA) by the key, and "our" sound silenced immediately. The sound came back instantly when the ATA was disarmed.

Sorry that it didn't help.
Glkka2H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: GLK3504M
I noticed the same thing - it comes from the fans circulating air, not the CD since I don't have the NAV system.
Mercedes DIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: GLK3504M
I think it is a cooling fan for the electronics.
Sitting in the vehicle with everything off it will come on every 15 sec or so.
If you turn the ignition on it will run constantly, with the engine running you can't hear it.
If you have everything off and lock the car with the key fob while sitting inside, the noise stops, so now it does not drain the battery. Locking it with the door lock button from inside does not do this.
Mercedes DIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 10 GLK 350 4Matic
I discovered this same problem, er... feature. I was monitoring the battery voltage to see if the starter battery was getting old - at just over 2 years use no less. I charged it up and it read 12.76 v. A little low but not terrible. I would prefer over 12.85. It sat overnight and I ran around the next day. I read the battery again and it's more like 12.5. This is a problem. I put the charger back on it but now I take the HVAC ductwork off the battery to to take a look at it and I find myself staring at a little squirrel cage fan running like mad.
What the h*** is this? I go inside, turn on the key and kill the climate control - fan still running.
If this fan stops when the car is locked - and I've not verified that it does, this could be a significant drain and a source of my battery drain problems.
When I went to charge the battery the other day it was down at 12.26 - below 1/2 charge and a real problem...
It's not a hot day at around 70 degrees F. Why would the electronics need this?

Any experts on the forum that can enlighten on this?

Now: 2010 GLK350 4Matic Then: 2003 C320 4Matic, 2006 E320 CDI, 2000 E320, 1994 E320, 1991 190E, 1985 300D, 1983 300D

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
mjhawkins2346 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > X204 GLK Class