Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Tire recommendations for MY15 GL63 AMG

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  moe_clk500 
#1 ·
I'm interested to get tire recommendations from y'all for my GL63.

It came with OEM Conti SportContact 5 and I only got 10k miles on fairly tame driving.

I'm considering the following:

Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06
Pirelli P Zero
Conti CrossContact UHP
Cont ContiSportContact 5

Any opinions on these models? I'm fairly limited to fit 295/40 ZR 21Y.

#3 ·
Limited Options

I'd go with the CrossContact UHP. I got 31K miles out of my first set of those on my wife's 13 GL450.

Then replaced with Conti DWS-06 and got just over 13K miles until they were slicks. AFTER a four-wheel alignment.

BTW, the treadwear ratings from Conti would lead you in a different direction: the UHP's have a t/w rating of 420/AAA, while the DWS-06's have a rating of 560/AA. My experience was quite the opposite.

Do not put too much stock in manufacturer treadwear ratings, as there is no universal standard.

#5 ·
WOW this is just ridiculous. Could they just not be as suitable for warmer weather?

I live in WA so I wanted better grip for occasional snow driving, and the much more common rain weather up here and the hydroplaning that comes with it. I got about 30K on Cross Contact UHP, until the MB dealer tells me I need to replace the rear ones with ~7/32 left on front. I wanted to go with DWS06 for all 4 but decided to give them a try on my rear wheels until I monitor road noise and handling. No major noise complaints yet, hope it does not get worse though. I am about to get the other 2 for the front but now I am super hesitant after reading this.

Anyone else experience this terrible premature tread wear issues? And are the DWS06 really that much better at snow/rain driving conditions? I do a lot of hwy driving and road noise is a big NO for me, which would be a major reason why I'd go back to the CrossContacts and ditch the ExtremeContact DWS06 on the back wheels now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.