Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Cold Start Hesitation? Thoughts?

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  CarBizIndio 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 GL 350, about 900 miles on it. I've noticed that after a cold start, there is a moment of hesitation in the acceleration in the 1st gear. This occurs about 1 sec after power has been given, and is NOT the change of gears from 1st to 2nd. It only occurs after the first acceleration, and then not again for the rest of the day.

Any thoughts? Happens reliably after each AM cold start, and is a little better if I gun the acceleration as opposed to moving slowly. But its pretty annoying.

Please advise.

Thank you,
Justin

#4 ·
Even if you drive the car and let it sit a few hours, the engine still has retained some heat compared to sitting overnight 12+ hours. Sounds to me like this may be normal operation. You might just want to call your service advisor and ask him his opinion.

One thing I have noticed with modern Mercedes (and other cars) is that the electronic throttle ('drive-by-wire') has made throttle response sluggish. I also experience delays between throttle input and vehicle response. In sport mode, throttle response improves but then the transmission also enters into shift programming mode when all I really want is crisp throttle response.

#6 ·
I'm actually wondering if this is some kind of turbo lag. I may not use the car for a few days at at time. Seems like when I start driving after a cold start, half way thru 1st gear, as I am accelerating i get an immediate absence of power for a split second then resumption and progression until I hit the 2nd gear and onward. Only happens first acceleration after cold start. Turbo charger doing this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.