2013 GL550 vs. GL450 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > X166 GL-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2008 911 4S, 2010 GL450, 2013 S550
Post 2013 GL550 vs. GL450

I am due to get a new car in January (I now have the 2010 GL450), and my son is badgering me to get the 550 over the 450. When I ask why he just says because the 550 is faster, more hp, and is cooler looking. I understand this, but is it worth the extra $25k for worse gas mileage and a slightly better looking car? I am considering it though, but what are the perks of getting the new 550 over the 450?

btw...MB did an amazing job with this redesign, the GL's look awesome. I was going to get the new Range Rover a while back and break it off with Mercedes because frankly the previous GL is pretty ugly in my opinion. However, this new design is awesome so I continued with my current lease.
jl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2012
Vehicle: 2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl63 View Post
I am due to get a new car in January (I now have the 2010 GL450), and my son is badgering me to get the 550 over the 450. When I ask why he just says because the 550 is faster, more hp, and is cooler looking. I understand this, but is it worth the extra $25k for worse gas mileage and a slightly better looking car? I am considering it though, but what are the perks of getting the new 550 over the 450?

btw...MB did an amazing job with this redesign, the GL's look awesome. I was going to get the new Range Rover a while back and break it off with Mercedes because frankly the previous GL is pretty ugly in my opinion. However, this new design is awesome so I continued with my current lease.
The GL550 is faster than the 450, in terms of looks I dont know where you live but if your in Canada you can get the Sport Package which gets you the exact same look as the 550.

I would go with the 550 if your going to get a fully loaded vehicle, once you add all options to a 450 and 550 the price difference is very minimal (12-15k in Canada and about 6-7k in the States), gas mileage is not all that much worse but you have to put in premium fuel for both models regardless or you will get horrible fuel economy. the 83k you are referring to has many options in it already that the 450 does not.

If resale value matters, the 350 holds its value the best down the road with the 550 being the worse.

Last edited by GL350; 12-27-2012 at 01:27 PM.
GL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 2013 GL550 Obsidian Black
Quote:

GL350 is right. It is faster only that it is a bit lighter than the 450 or 350 and tuned a bit more over via turbo and larger turbo intercooler area. One could tune a 450 higher, but would need to add/upgrade componentry to support the additional power that the 550 already has.

Interior is great with full leather, great standard perk to a 550, and the AMG appearance kit that it shares with the GL63 is eye catching. I get lots of nods. So if you are in CA< then you can get appearance package on anything. It really looks nice and was a real motivation in the 550 over the 450 to me.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2008 911 4S, 2010 GL450, 2013 S550
I thought about the GL63 for a little but I think the 550 is a lot more practical...Thanks guys for all the help, I think I may be going with the 550 but its still up in the air.

Another question, my son is 16 and is taking his road test soon (we live in NY) and my wife and I are considering giving him my 2010 GL450. We lease it so we would just purchase it when I get my new car. What do you guys think about this? He is a huge car fanatic and loves driving my car, but my wife and I are a little uncomfortable with our 16 year old driving a $63k car, much less a Mercedes. It is a very safe car and he is a good driver but we try to teach our kids modesty and a 2010 MB would be sort of hypocritical. Anyway I was wondering what you guys thought...
jl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2012
Vehicle: 2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Quote:
I thought about the GL63 for a little but I think the 550 is a lot more practical...Thanks guys for all the help, I think I may be going with the 550 but its still up in the air.

Another question, my son is 16 and is taking his road test soon (we live in NY) and my wife and I are considering giving him my 2010 GL450. We lease it so we would just purchase it when I get my new car. What do you guys think about this? He is a huge car fanatic and loves driving my car, but my wife and I are a little uncomfortable with our 16 year old driving a $63k car, much less a Mercedes. It is a very safe car and he is a good driver but we try to teach our kids modesty and a 2010 MB would be sort of hypocritical. Anyway I was wondering what you guys thought...
We had 2008 GL leased, after 4 years the amount of money they were asking us to buyout the car was about 15-17k more than what the vehicle was worth at the time... from what I understood at the time, you have to pay off the balance of the car and no discount will be given what so ever ( no exceptions, even if you have bought 3 other new MB vehicles like we had), so if you leased a car that cost 85,000 and paid 40,000 during the lease they would ask for $45,000 not taking into account any depreciation what so ever, maybe the story is different in the U.S.

Instead of buying out a vehicle which is now obsolete and will decline even further in the new year , I would instead finance a new vehicle that just came out or is in its 2nd year, i.e ML, GL, that way you can be sure for 5-6 years there will not be any significant depreciation. Or if possible you could also negotiate a killer deal on a end of model year vehicle i.e S550, CL550, I know they are offering 20k off a 2013 S550 Avantgard without any negotiation, and it comes with pretty much everything thrown in.
GL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
First, let me say some thing here that might make me a bit unpopular - but on the other hand I have "lived" so to speak with all three models of the GL since September:

1) Don't overlook the "hideen jewel" in affordability and pull-power which is the GL350 BlueTech. The BlueTech with its amazing torque pulls around town like a 550 - and the you will get real close to 30mpg. At this moment its overshadowed by the fact in the US diesel fuel prices take longer to come down versus more competitive retail prices on premium - but in the long run as fuel prices rise, best to look at diesel/premium prices at the pumps in your area 6 months ago for a fairer comparison. The new GL's are so cabin quiet as compared to other luxury SUV's its amazing, and in comparison to each other the GL350 suffers as a bit noiser/hair - but the GL350 compared to any other luxury SUV out there will hold its own.

2) The GL550 loaded up is a beautiful machine, Designo is a level of elegant feeling unmatched especially, but the 550 "AMG" body styling and 21" wheels are what really set it off - as compared to a GL450 with appearance package.

3) Some one might kick in and say "get a 450 and chip it" - I have checked out the "claims" by some tuners so far - by the $3K guys down to the $1000 guys - and all I can say is that I personally believe the market is still about a year away from having effective 450 upgrades that will be documented well enough in my opinion to consider to mod my $80K Mercedes. There just haven't been enough GL's in the market yet for the tuners really to do effective/complete work. That said, in about that year (my target) a effective chop retune should be in the $400-$600 range - especially after the Euro boys get a few more GL's over there to do the real competent work that comes from there as compared to the US-hack-a-thon types.

4) Leasing a pre-owned GL - which at this moment would be earlier-gen, simply doesn't make financial sense. Leasing does two things - first, it allows you to "fix" your total cost of ownership for a specic period without worrying about future resale, 2nd it makes changeover to your next vehicle to be focused without having to worry about value/trade-in value of the vehicle you leave behine.
As the new-gen '13 GL goes into 1st half this next year, there will be more and more early-gen owners - with solid vehicles - trading up. Just like now we are in 2nd year new-gen ML's - you will see more 2010-2011 ML's solid vehicles available as Certified Pre-Owned values at the dealer.
With recent-model financing at all time lows, in the 3's or even less for some, a 2-3 yr old Certified Pre-Owned can be termed smart money, financed in the right way to build you some trade-in equity 3-4 years down the road as your cash situation allows.

Understand - fuel prices will ultimately go back up short term this year - and as shown by our last "high" - there was no real cap that ket it from going higher - except this dang fiscal cliff deal.

At this moment - fuel prices low - and short supply of new models - SUV's have a bump "high" value again.

My daughter drives a $60K '13 GLK - with everything on it except Designo - yes, she even has Distronic. That said, there are some very-very nice "loaded" '11 ML's out there that can be had in the $40K's for your son. - and some MB program '12 ML's popping up off of MB exec leases/event deals.

Keep the faith !
fabbrisd1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > X166 GL-Class