Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Common Problems with GL 450 2008-2010

22K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  peter4271 
#1 ·
Hey,
I am planning a purchasing a used GL450, but want to know what the common problems with the vehicle are. The SUV will be around 100k miles. If you can also give me an estimated price for the fixing of the common problems that will also be helpful. Also is it worth to get a third party used car warranty on it and if so what do you recommend.
Thank you

#3 ·
Here is my experience:

Air shock failure - $400 for each shock on front of car and $350 for each rear shock at around 80 to 90k miles they fail. That price is me doing it, a dealer or shop will be more. Arnott shocks have lifetime warranty, so I would look for this on any used GL.

The transmission conductor plate is also a known component to fail. It can be difficult to diagnose as many have replaced the whole transmission or the valve body versus just the circuit board (conductor plate). It has to be done by dealer as it will need to be programmed. At the same time, you should have them do a full transmission service. Cost is $1200, I called all the dealers in my area and was about the same as others that I researched. I'm not sure on interval to replace but mine acted up at 85k.

Engine Caps: on the back of engine are plastic engine caps that can leak oil, they are about $30 and an easy DIY.

Hope it helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.