Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Help diagnosing a leak?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  d6lc 
#1 ·
I know that it is the $64m question, but I wanted to know if any of you guys can help diagnose a leak that had developed on my 08 GL450.

It looks to be coming from the front LH (Drivers) side of the engine, I noticed it this weekend when I removed the engine cover to change the oil, I don’t think it is engine oil, as my engine oil was black and this is honey colored.

Looks like it is leaking above the AC compressor, could it be the PS reservoir?

I didn’t really have time for a dig around, so just looking at pointers at the moment.

#4 ·
LH oil leak

I have the same oil leak on my '08 GL450. Mine is coming from the power steering rack where the steering wheel and steering rack join. Take a flashlight and look down past the exhaust manifold and you can visualize. I fixed mine with Lucas Power Steering stop leak from Wal-Mart for $10. Seems it is due to the seals getting worn. (Which I might add my MB service mgr suggested before I let them replace the entire rack for +-$2,500).

#5 ·
Mines definately leaking from the very front of the engine, whilst I havent gotten it off yet it looks like from the bottom of the PS tank.

Went to the dealer yesterday to get a bottle of fluid as I was low, and purchase the tank to pump seal a $4 part, I sincerely hope its that seal, the dealer parts guy said they do them all the time might not inspire confidence in the brand but he was at least honest and helpful.

My issue now is getting the PS tank off, I tried it last time i replaced the cam magnets. At teh time I just couldnt see how to remove it...any tips from anyonee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.