Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2010 GL 350- Keep it?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  RostamDastan 
#1 ·
This is our first Mercedes. We love it, except it's hard to keep tires on it! We do 20K miles/yr. going between NH and cottage in Maine. The rig is always packed. 27-29 mpg always. We have had a few mechanical problems but suckered for the 100K warranty so no worries,and no, did not get my $$ worth (yet) but that's ok. But we only have one year left until we own it. I have taken great care of it and would be happy to just run it for another 100 K- but worry about the first time I need a repair. Does anyone know if these run on and on like the old MB diesels of yesteryear? BTW, back in 2010 (end of year) we got 10K off sticker!

#2 · (Edited)
A few points on your 100,000 plus question. MB extended warranty will not cover any part that adBlue comes in contact with. AdBlue is very corrosive so be prepared. My last diesel (2006 E 320) at 100,000 miles driving to dealer for trade in was showing 38 plus mpg and not a hint of drivetrain troubles. Great car! However for some reason around 85,000 the nav system failed and took the sound system with it. Dealer charged $3-400 to bring the sound system back on the can bus and quoted $7500 to repair the nav system. Nav is a must have for my wife's job. So in the end MB sold us another vehicle due to a over priced repair of a item that in the real world sells for $500 installed. We replaced with a 2010 GL 350 with the 135,000 mile warranty plan. Hoping to go 150,000 plus miles. The GL was off lease with 22,500 miles and 2 years old. The tires (second set of run flats) showed about third tread and rode poor. Run flats are costly and wear quickly! After some research I found 4 18" 2007 GL factory rims on Ebay and mounted 4 michlen 265/65/R18 light truck tires and installed. Result less tire noise and 10x better ride with only slight tread wear after 40,000 miles. You need to figure your own plan for a spare tire with my system. My take is it will be easier to repair/replace a 18" light truck tire than find a 20" run flat that was trashed by running flat. The other upside to this swap was/is fuel mileage still around 28 mpg.

#3 ·
We seem to be in a similar situation :) we bought a 2012 GL,with 10.7k off the sticker price and also got 100k warranty. We also plan to keep it for a very long time and wondered the same, would they last as the old diesels? (I certainly hope so)

I initially did not like the runflats but they gradually grew on me. My wife mostly drives the car and she sometimes need to do short travels for work. With run flats I am not worried about her getting a flat tire as she can just continue driving and get home. The tires also do not blow up like regulars tires. We test drove both gl 350 with run flats and gl 450 with regular tires and I did not notice any difference in ride quality or it s harness. We find the ride in our gl 350 great. I also think the tire wear has more to do with tire size as I was told non runflats 20" tires last around 20k as well. I think in 10 years time runflats would be a lot more common as their quality goes up and price goes down. It makes sense not to always carry a spate (unless you are going on an excursion) a sits an extra 60# you are carrying u may never need. I have used the donut I my Subaru once in the past 4 years

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.