Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Considering 07 320 (similar to the previous '09 search)

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  leboyd 
#1 ·
Wow, amazing how similar the request was. I have an '04 RR with 150k and it's time to change (known problems with the RR make it that way). I'm considering an '07 GL320 or an '07 RR. The '07 I'm looking at has 144k on it, which I don't consider a lot for the engine. I drive about 30k per year and would expect to keep it three or four years.

I do most all my own work on the trucks, as long as it doesn't require specific tool for the one job (like a special spanner) and I have the time.

I saw where the oil cooler leak was an issue here in Texas (where specifically are you? I'm in Houston). I assume this can be avoided with regular maintenance or some modification to the truck?

What specific x-164 things should I check on this truck before buying? I have a long list of general things.

If I decide on a 90k/100k gas x-164, what should I specifically look at.

With the RR we have the "RAVE" set of manuals available for free download. These include *everything* - owner's manual, service manual, workshop manual, electrical circuit manual, etc. Is there anything like this for the GL? Without it, DIY is pretty much impossible (at least for me).

I've owned two RR and am on their forum daily, helping as much as possible so I can get help quickly when necessary. I'm not a mechanic, but don't mind getting my hands dirty.

I also have a RR PC based diagnostic and ECM modification specialty cable. This allows me to change the setting on things like lights, default ride heights, etc. and of course read all the codes from the different computers and reset them. Is there anything like this for the x-164?

The NAV system in the RR is based on the BMW system, and if you know anything about either of them you know their not that great. I replaced the whole system in my '04. What is the '07 x-164 NAV system like? How do you update it?

I see there are often 30 or more people lurking on the x-164 forum, but very few new topics. Should I be pleased that there are few problems with these trucks or is this because the MB owners generally just take the truck into the dealer or indy shop?

Thank in advance! Your input will make the difference on which truck I purchase.

See less See more
#3 ·
Posted for about a day?? Have patience!

re: oil cooler leak - I just went through that and it is NOT dependent on regular maintenance (or not) it is a design defect. The seals are made of a material that hardens and sometimes splits (mine did that). The design change is to a Viton material which SHOULD be able to handle the heat better.

You don't mention if you used the search feature for the any of your questions. Most of them are pretty well covered by previous threads and/or posts.

#4 ·
Thanks for the input on the oil cooler. Yes, did a lot of searching before I asked my questions. Possibly how I'm searching is not effective because I didn't see anything on the other questions either. I was searching as I would on the RR forum. I'm willing to learn how to use this forum more effectively.

As I said in my OP, I (and many others) are on the RR site daily and often more than once a day. No problem, however. I can reset my timing expectations.

I'll try to do more searches to see if I can find the answers to my other questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.