Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

should i be worried about this diesel fuel leak?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  nynd 
#1 ·
Wife smelled some diesel fuel fumes in the garage tonight. I pulled the cover off the motor and immediately noticed some yellowing against the straps on the lines, and some pooling on the top of the filter.

I'm probably going to take it to my indy or the dealer to address...but should I tow, or should I drive it there?

Do these things turn catastrophic?

See less See more
#2 ·
Unless you have a major leak, you should be fine to get it to a mechanic. Considering diesel only ignites under compression (meaning won't burn to an open flame) you should be ok. If there is a little pooling, I'd clean it off to see if its a large or small leak. If it still runs fine, chances are its a small leak from the ring clamp or a pin hole in the rubber hose. Keep in mind, diesel fuel like is under compression so careful as you look or work around it.

PS - other option could also be that the ring clamp cut or pierced through the hose creating the leak. New hose and ring clamp should address the issue (10 min fix)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.